Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I've posted the first picture before but here it aids as a reminder.
Lima.
View attachment 2914303
That hen over by the watering cans is Lima! and her bestie Similie of course. Lima just goes from strength to strength. It's a shame she no longer comes and jumps on my lap; she's far to busy being a chicken for all that boring human stuff. She goes everywhere at a trot which is so lovely. She seems full of energy (so she should given what she been fed over the past month) and has discovered she can hop over a place in the fence and Bucket Boy will come and get her when it's time to go to roost.
View attachment 2914304
She really perked up nicely!

Back to the poop for a moment. This is much more like what I used to see in Spain.
PB301182.JPG

I think friendship dynamics are more complicated than we realise & whether chickens get along with each other or not is a combination of lots of different factors: space, age, raised together or not, personalities etc. I have, for the most part, chosen breeds with reputations for being easy going, non~aggressive & have had very few problems. Mostly everyone gets along with each other.
I usually ignore what's said about breed reputations, since generalizations at that level are rarely useful. I have one hen who's unsociable, not in an independent hen kind of way, but as just mean to everyone except the older roos, and who is, as a consequence, avoided by everyone. I'm sure it's just her personality; everyone else is pretty easy going.

I usually ignore what's said about breed reputations, since generalizations at that level are rarely useful. I have one hen who's unsociable, not in an independent hen kind of way, but as just mean to everyone except the older roos, and who is, as a consequence, avoided by everyone. I'm sure it's just her personality; everyone else is pretty easy going.
I'm not a believer in breed=behaviour either.

I don't because I've seen to many mean RIRs & NHs & I have too many weird chickens to deliberately choose breeds with a reputation for aggressiveness. Yes, each chicken is an individual but I prefer to err on the side of caution. I don't have any mean chickens amongst my present lot & it's wonderful!

To quote @MaryJanet, that looks like a perfect poop.
After I broke Peggy's liver I became exceedingly focussed on her poops! And those of the other hens too :lau

If I haven't inspected one of Peggy's poops each day, I feel slightly uneasy.

Yesterday she dropped a small poop but it showed well-functioning digestion.

After I broke Peggy's liver I became exceedingly focussed on her poops! And those of the other hens too :lau

If I haven't inspected one of Peggy's poops each day, I feel slightly uneasy.

Yesterday she dropped a small poop but it showed well-functioning digestion.
how did you break her liver?

Back
Top Bottom