Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

T
I'm sure you know that a lot of our weeds are very nutritious for the chickens (and people!), so I just referee between them, pulling out the thugs and anything apparently aiming for global domination, or going to prolific seed!

what about the equivalent of a GP? Is being a jack of all trades not an option now?

but not for not even trying to help? Only acts of commission, not of omission, are punished?

as happens with untreated animals too.

Veterinary care here is quietly being industrialised :(. Practices keep their premises and names, but are actually owned and controlled by big corporations, who hike the prices and treat the vets as employees (in return for handling the ever increasing bureaucratic burden, which is what incentivizes independent vets to sell out to them).
I don't know what's in the code of conduct for vets in Australia, but I'm sure you can find it and read it if you wish.

I figure by now I have put myself in debt with the tax authorities so here are a few payments.

Interesting note on the pictures below, you can see just how overgrown the hen's beak got during her brooding. She shaped it back down to normal size pretty quickly but I found it interesting how much it grew.

Baby Magpie with mama Sundew. She hatched out two clutches this year. The first, she only sat on one egg and hatched out Chickadee (pullet). This second clutch hatched 3/4 eggs in August. Magpie (cockerel), Jackdaw (cockerel), and their yet unnamed sister.
View attachment 2915965
I can't tell the two black chicks apart from these angles but the one with the white head is Magpie. Sundew decided she didn't like the jar on the feed so she promptly got rid of it.
View attachment 2915968

This picture is from last fall. Sundew is a young pullet here and is front and center. The pullet on the far left, named Falcon, is mother to Jackdaw and was a prolific egg layer until it killed her a couple months ago. View attachment 2915971

I particularly like this picture of Jackdaw. This was taken in October. The pullet behind him is his hatch mate and is a full blooded sister to Magpie.

View attachment 2915975
Where is the double-heart emoji when you need it?
Chickens in trees, babies with Mom, shiny black chickens (as some on this thread know, I have a thing for black chickens - so gorgeous!). But mainly chickens being chickens.
Great pictures, thank you for sharing!

I figure by now I have put myself in debt with the tax authorities so here are a few payments.

Interesting note on the pictures below, you can see just how overgrown the hen's beak got during her brooding. She shaped it back down to normal size pretty quickly but I found it interesting how much it grew.

Baby Magpie with mama Sundew. She hatched out two clutches this year. The first, she only sat on one egg and hatched out Chickadee (pullet). This second clutch hatched 3/4 eggs in August. Magpie (cockerel), Jackdaw (cockerel), and their yet unnamed sister.
View attachment 2915965
I can't tell the two black chicks apart from these angles but the one with the white head is Magpie. Sundew decided she didn't like the jar on the feed so she promptly got rid of it.
View attachment 2915968

This picture is from last fall. Sundew is a young pullet here and is front and center. The pullet on the far left, named Falcon, is mother to Jackdaw and was a prolific egg layer until it killed her a couple months ago. View attachment 2915971

I particularly like this picture of Jackdaw. This was taken in October. The pullet behind him is his hatch mate and is a full blooded sister to Magpie.

View attachment 2915975
:weePro tree huggers! You're paid up for life. What a great tree for chickens.

Where is the double-heart emoji when you need it?
Chickens in trees, babies with Mom, shiny black chickens (as some on this thread know, I have a thing for black chickens - so gorgeous!). But mainly chickens being chickens.
Great pictures, thank you for sharing!
Thank you very much. Most of my flock is some shade of brown or gold but I do find the black chickens very beautiful.
:weePro tree huggers! You're paid up for life. What a great tree for chickens.
Thank you very much.😆 The first time I saw that tree the first thought I had was something along the lines of, "That is a perfect chicken tree." They spend more time in the pine trees here though.

Back
Top Bottom