Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Quite right to. One should always know why one is paying tax and for what purpose. I, like many revenue organisations, may have bent the truth a bit about how the tax gets spent.:confused:
My guess is you're hoarding it until you can spend it on coop building materials.

Here's some tax for all this broody talk. Meet Ambrose, my flockmaster for my mixed flock
20210831_114557.jpg

I hope I'll be forgiven for this. I have past tax credits if necessary.
This was a rescue hen called Rosehip. I found her on a track not far from my home in Catalonia. Until ver recently I've found it very difficult to post pictures of the chickens I lived with for so many years. She was flea and lice ridden and had her beak butchered. It took a couple of months to file a usable point on it.
View attachment 2920469

And this picture is of a hen called Fudge. Ive got a framed print of this and it's called Proud & Free.
View attachment 2920471
I am so happy to see pictures of the tribes again. 🙂 I know it's hard & you miss them but we miss them too.:hugs

This was a rescue hen called Rosehip. I found her on a track not far from my home in Catalonia. Until ver recently I've found it very difficult to post pictures of the chickens I lived with for so many years. She was flea and lice ridden and had her beak butchered. It took a couple of months to file a usable point on it.
View attachment 2920469

And this picture is of a hen called Fudge. Ive got a framed print of this and it's called Proud & Free.
View attachment 2920471
I love that photo of Fudge.

View attachment 2920469

View attachment 2920471
I remember that picture of Fudge. Really love it. I am glad you felt able to post it again.
I know it is painful.
:hugs

As I was driving through the countryside to a doctor appointment this morning, I drove past 2 hens and a rooster that could be Henry's twin. If I were of the thieving sort, I may have considered nabbing him 😉. He was gorgeous. But instead, I will pay some coveting tax with another photo of one of my (as recently dubbed) rainbow roosters. Actually, this is a two for the price of one photo. Oh, how they do gleam and glimmer in the sunshine!View attachment 2920416
Do they get on? Are they related?

Regarding free ranging, because we are blessed enough to live on 36+ acres, we plan on fencing another portion in the spring and then rotate weekly...one week the chickens/guineas and eventually ducks/geese/peafowl will have access to the top pasture, while the dogs and goats/sheep will be in the bottom pasture. The next week we'll rotate. This will be beneficial for everyone as the chickens and guineas will eradicate the ticks in both pastures (great for the dogs and livestock) and they'll have a huge area to keep them healthy and strong. If only our dogs could see the birds as part of their charge, they'd all be able to have access to the entire property at all times. Alas, the dogs will protect the livestock and we humans to the death, but they cannot resist a scrumptious chicken dinner. 🤦‍♀️
Until I started caring for this lot all the chickens I've cared for in the past have been free range. All self replicating closed flock arrangements.
It is very hard at first. The loss rate can be hard to take but every year the mums sit and hatch and life goes on.

Back
Top Bottom