Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

So, here's a question for people to think about.

Was Mr Young right and battery hens are not proper chickens?
If by “proper” he meant normal or natural, then he was correct.
Could they ever learn how to be proper chickens, particulalry given they have such short life spans in which to learn given the opportunity?
I don’t know that they need to learn to be chickens. I believe they only need an environment more conducive to their natural behaviors. If they are older and fully conditioned to their battery cage, they may not have enough time for those instincts to emerge. Sadly, those would die stressing in their unfamiliar environment and never achieving “chickenhood.”

If introduced to a better environment early enough, natural instincts may emerge. They would become “proper” chickens.

I suppose I owe too. That's Jackdaw on the left, Magpie on the right.
IMG_20210830_193332828.jpg

She has calmed down a bit, but when she was a chick she would atack me, try to run from me and decides she is safe om my head, always screaming bluddy murder, annoing her sisters by thowing them of the roost. She does her name credit.View attachment 2920873
Jackass as my tax.
You sure she hasn't got Campine in there somewhere. 🤣She sounds like my mad women.

Last edited:
So, here's a question for people to think about.

Was Mr Young right and battery hens are not proper chickens?
If he was right, given their breeding, the fact they are hatched in their millions in incubators, have never aquired the skills and knowledge that broody reared, free range chickens do, are never likely to reproduce naturally.
Could they ever learn how to be proper chickens, particulalry given they have such short life spans in which to learn given the opportunity?
Any sentient being is *real* so perhaps it is a process. The first thing ex~batts have to concentrate on is regrowing feathers & beaks. Only then can they focus on other things like foraging & growing really healthy. Healthy hens who feel safe & confident will go broody. :idunno

The most obvious things I've noticed about the Ex Batts is they don't seeem to know how to dust bath.
I've watched lots of broodies teach their chicks to bath so maybe this is learn't behaviour. Henry, Matilda,Volt and Amp and Cloud and Fret all dust bath when they can. The comets and links don't.
Amp dust bathing.
PA170531.JPG

The most obvious things I've noticed about the Ex Batts is they don't seeem to know how to dust bath.
I've watched lots of broodies teach their chicks to bath so maybe this is learn't behaviour. Henry, Matilda,Volt and Amp and Cloud and Fret all dust bath when they can. The comets and links don't.
Amp dust bathing.
View attachment 2921418
Mine learnt ~ but they were chronic sunbathers till they grew feathers.

Back
Top Bottom