Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I have to say, she looks as you describe.
She's a nutter. After I robbed both her feral nests she has taken to hopping the fence & laying in the next door neighbour's nesting boxes. 🙄 This morning I managed to nab her before she settled & locked her in the shed to lay where she ought! 🤣

The most obvious things I've noticed about the Ex Batts is they don't seeem to know how to dust bath.
I've watched lots of broodies teach their chicks to bath so maybe this is learn't behaviour. Henry, Matilda,Volt and Amp and Cloud and Fret all dust bath when they can. The comets and links don't.
Amp dust bathing.
View attachment 2921418
That is heart breaking the comets don't

So as you know, my lot were mail order hatchling (don't scold...I know how you feel about it,and it was a rookie mistake)
Even as babies, before we moved them outside, they attempted to dust bathe on rugs. I'm talking about before they even set foot on grass or dirt.

So that being said, it isn't necessarily the breed (I have a comet and various production layers),nor being without a mother figure to learn from.

Perhaps it is a matter of having to concentrate on staying alive that prevents them from being chicken-y?

How long did it take. I don't know how onewould go about trying to each them.
I'm not 100% sure. I have to think back more than 20 years but I think it was a gradual process. They liked the warmth of the bricks while they were so denuded but as they feathered out they sunbathed on the dirt & gradually began dustbathing from scratching around ~ so a few months. I guess nude birds don't need to dustbathe the way feathered birds do.

I only have four chickens, so I can't offer much variety in my photos.

Tax

View attachment 2921429
They are just yummy, delicious eye candy and all kine fine. ♡♡♡
20211201_160636~2.jpg
20210222_074622~2.jpg

Like Honokowai and Princes Peaches rolled into one ♡ yes bias.
Interruption, off subject tax 🌴😎

She's a nutter. After I robbed both her feral nests she has taken to hopping the fence & laying in the next door neighbour's nesting boxes. 🙄 This morning I managed to nab her before she settled & locked her in the shed to lay where she ought! 🤣
I hear ya! Had more than a few like that. Find one nest and they just go deeper and farther till they bring home babies. Then attack the flock and then me.... I gave mine back to the pasture where they can do as they please. Great mommas. Bad chickens.

Wow, they are gorgeous enough to give Ribh's nutters a run for their money.:love
Those aren't the crazy ones... and I won't even tell them you sid so. Oh my princesses cover your beautiful ears!!!
20210505_074050~2.jpg
This is one of- one of my hellions daughters. Who she herself was sweet, just never ending broody to her detriment.
I should be tax exempt on this one.

Those aren't the crazy ones... and I won't even tell them you sid so. Oh my princesses cover your beautiful ears!!!
View attachment 2921580This is one of- one of my hellions daughters. Who she herself was sweet, just never ending broody to her detriment.
I should be tax exempt on this one.
Now that I think about it... she was laid in a ferals nest a yard or two away... by my girl of course.... her whole brood got pox and died cept her I grabbed to be a companion to a solo chick. The pox gave her a crooked beak. But she is the spitting image of her mom, just had my roos feathered legs.
Tax dodging. :plbb
*** it was the ferals brood who got pox. Dusty was the only one to survive because if my theft and intervention.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom