Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I would love to join this thread @Shadrach and follow along. I have read some of your articles about roosters with much interest and now understand my chickens behavior more than I did before!❤️
Here is my tax, I hope it is enough.🤣
96746035-54F5-4091-B3D3-73ACBB54CD01.jpeg
E388B0CC-5576-4EB5-88D5-776D84037D40.jpeg

I need your featherduster!
I'll trade you a feather duster for a seabright...;) The lady who breeds these frizzles lots of different things. I have a Belgian, a GLW & a SLW also frizzled. 😁 Shad can be rude all he likes but they are all exceptionally pretty ladies.

Jurassic Chicken ;) Actually, Jurassic Bantam, since they were tiny, about 110 grams. Not actually bird ancestors, but non-avian theropods like T. rex.
View attachment 2922598

Birds still have the genes to grow teeth, there is just a mutation that disables it. Researches know HOW birds lost their teeth, but there is no consensus on WHY.

https://www.audubon.org/news/how-birds-lost-their-teeth
Thanks! The link is a great bonus I look forward to devouring later...

So, here's a question for people to think about.

Was Mr Young right and battery hens are not proper chickens?
If he was right, given their breeding, the fact they are hatched in their millions in incubators, have never aquired the skills and knowledge that broody reared, free range chickens do, are never likely to reproduce naturally.
Could they ever learn how to be proper chickens, particulalry given they have such short life spans in which to learn given the opportunity?
Maybe they could get close if they had other “proper” chickens to learn from?

Back
Top Bottom