Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I finally got some pictures imported.

Now I'm ready to pay my back taxes.

This picture is one of my ISA Browns
IMG_1578.JPG

This picture has two of my ISA Browns, the one on the right is Henrietta who lost her comb.

IMG_1558.JPG

These are three of the six chickens I rehomed.

I couldn't find anything even remotely relevant to why a Legbar knows it's Legbar.
This has been knocking around in my brain more than I want to admit. Sitting with the birds this morning, some thoughts finally formed, mainly around the concept that a Legbar doesn't need to know it's a Legbar to know it likes how other Legbars act.

In our setup, brooder mates stick together, but thanks to this thread, I'm now hyper aware when birds-of-a-feather segregate. Like when our Legbars sneak away from their Marans brooder mates to forage.

It's easy to believe the Legbars segregate in that instance because they're leaner and more driven to forage while simultaneously realizing Marans are big enough to steal the best foraged treasures. The Legbars leave to satisfy hunger away from the prying eyes of the Marans.

The Legbars also segregate when there's a good sunbeam to nap in. The Marans are welcome to join in this case but usually don't. They're not as interested in hot sun, possibly because they're black and have more body fat.

On the other hand, our Legbars embed with the bodaciously fluffy Marans when it's time to preen, possibly because nothing says safety like a wall of Marans.

Genetics and physiology explain segregation in these situations, without breeds necessarily knowing they look the same to us.

Obviously, my observations are specific to the differences of 2 distinct breeds in a specific setting. Not sure how it holds up in other settings with mixed breeds, etc.

On another line of thinking, while Legbars might not identify specifically as Legbars, they can certainly see their own feathers as they preen, which may be enough to bolster the safety-in-numbers point that similar-looking beings are harder to pick off (brought up somewhere in this thread, but I can't seem to locate it--sorry).

Though when it comes to safety, our chickens appear to gravitate toward the bossiest hens or nearest rooster, no matter what they look like.

Lastly, the pheromones argument always rings true to me. We understand so little about smell. What those pheromones would signal to bring breeds together is a whole other rabbit hole.

Attachments

• PlumBarbaraLorraine-Preen.jpg
    PlumBarbaraLorraine-Preen.jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 2
Our bantams readily mix with our full size Easter Eggers and lavender orpingtons, roosters being the exception of course. They have been taught to keep their distance via beatings from our dominant rooster, an Easter egger mix. Red has a healthy set of spurs that even the bigger roosters fear. Picture of Red attached.

Attachments

• 20200310_135952_1583866971442_001.jpg
    20200310_135952_1583866971442_001.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 11
Between my neighbour and I we made a curtain too cover the coop door too help keep their heat inside the coop.

Some clever person came up with it in fluffy butts. I will post a picture tomorrow.

It's strips of quality plastic cut so they can come in and out when they please into the run. We have had freezing fog the whole of the coop and run is covered but this has made it even more cozy for them.

I will sleep better knowing they will be warmer tonight :love

Back
Top Bottom