Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Just when I thought you were getting to C about the health of the chickens.

Tax:
20220112_163809.jpg

This is Little Big Shot. I decided to take him on a walk today. I carried him around the property for a good 10 minutes or more. I would like to say he enjoyed it.

20211216_092459.jpg

My Cochin Bantam hens. They are so hard to get pictures of.

20211209_160539.jpg

Pretty little Chipmunk. You can kinda see his white on this picture.

20211209_160816.jpg

And Nugget. Who passed away from a hawk attack on January 5th. She was a sweet girl. We got 4 eggs from her and all eggs are alive on Day 5 of incubation. Just trying to carry on a little piece of her.

Where C and, I’m guessing, the other allotment holders value the fresh eggs, might it make a more compelling argument that the hens will lay more eggs if they have a higher quality feed? I know that’s not why you spend time and effort into taking care of these birds, but if you’re trying to change someone else’s mind, appealing to their motives for having chickens may strengthen your argument. If the chickens are healthier because they’re eating a better diet, then you’re happy. If the chickens are laying more eggs because they’re eating a better diet, then C is happy? Just a thought.
nice thought, but I think Shad said earlier that no-one is much interested in the eggs (?huh? are they nuts? :th)

so the white underfluff is normal on OEGB plumage? Phoenix is a Penedesenca if it makes any difference, and (as I think I've mentioned before, for other reasons) I suspect there's a lot of reversion to wild type genes in there. I don't know anything about OEGB but if the name is not entirely fanciful, I'd imagine there's quite a lot of wild type in them too...?

so the white underfluff is normal on OEGB plumage? Phoenix is a Penedesenca if it makes any difference, and (as I think I've mentioned before, for other reasons) I suspect there's a lot of reversion to wild type genes in there. I don't know anything about OEGB but if the name is not entirely fanciful, I'd imagine there's quite a lot of wild type in them too...?
Probably. It is only prominent in the BB Reds I believe. I accidently got Chipmunk, so, I don't really know.

Just when I thought you were getting to C about the health of the chickens.

Tax:
View attachment 2958959
This is Little Big Shot. I decided to take him on a walk today. I carried him around the property for a good 10 minutes or more. I would like to say he enjoyed it.

View attachment 2958960
My Cochin Bantam hens. They are so hard to get pictures of.

View attachment 2958961

View attachment 2958962
And Nugget. Who passed away from a hawk attack on January 5th. She was a sweet girl. We got 4 eggs from her and all eggs are alive on Day 5 of incubation. Just trying to carry on a little piece of her.
I love Nugget’s expression and those are sone impressive wattles on Mr. Big Shot!

OK, Shad, here's one for you.
I'm sure you remember these two. They were joined by Titania, my white frizzle, & that was all my white laying bantams broody together.
Now all my black bantams are brooding together. That's Olivia, Chavi & Desdemona. No picture as where they've set up camp together is too dark & squishy to get a good one. Shuri is sorta on the edge but these 3 have pretty well pushed her out.

Is this another case of birds of a feather or simply my girls are completely nuts?​

1642067017562.png

What a love. I don’t like her body language in the standing photo much, but then the legbar in the foreground is a bit puffed up, too. Is it cold? I hope she isn’t dying, and hope it’s a good thing they found her with a bull crop.
If you don't like her body language you certainly wouldn't like her vocal offerings.:D
Yes it's cold by chicken standards. About 2 degrees centigrade.
I check her crop every evening.

Back
Top Bottom