Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I got them as hatching eggs from a lady in Tiverton, who got them from one of the main breeders in Villafranca, apparently.
Excellent. You might have some good genetics in there then.
I used to look out for Penedesencas for Chicken Canoe when I went close to the French border.

It seems like C was in a rush as usual. Given their stated farming background one might have thought they could get up in the morning leaving enough time to do the job properly.:rolleyes:
P1130145.JPG

It was rather foggy when I got to thhe allotments.
P1130146.JPG
P1130147.JPG

After half an hour or so the sun burst through and shone on the far end of the allotment run. That's Henry offering his sevices.
P1130148.JPG

P1130150.JPG

P1130151.JPG

Attachments

• P1130149.JPG
    P1130149.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 3
Okay, good. I was a little nervous that something wasnt clicking since i dont think ive ever heard it mentioned. If one goes broody, will you allow chicks?
Wel you know, I have posted mating pictures on other threads and got a few raised eyebrows.
I'll get some pictures just for you.:p

I don't know how the egg bribery stuff ever works in the US. Eggs are cheap here in the UK. You can get half a dozen eggs for under £2.
It probably costs people more in time and travel to come to the allotment or meet up with C to get an assortment of eggs that won't taste any different to the pasture raised eggs they can buy from a shop.
One can hardly advertise the eggs as free range without telling the same lies as the large egg producers.
The only attraction one is left with is tryinng to persuade people that the hens are in better keeping conditions than the batteries.
This isn't necessarily true now in the UK. In fact, many of the pasture raised egg concerns can provide far better keeping condtions than many of the backyard keepers.
When I'm obliged to buy eggs, I always buy them from the egg farm on Kangaroo Island where there are no foxes. They free range all day and have barns for roosting. Some hens are lost to hawks and as they age out of productivity, the farmer goes out at night to pop their necks, then their remains are buried to nourish the soil which gives rise to the grasses and bugs that feed future generations of chickens. They never leave their families. They never leave their home. They're as safe as free ranging hens can be and their death is quick.

To my mind, this is an extraordinarily high standard of care in the egg production industry.

Back
Top Bottom