Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

the new growth is just starting to appear here, so presumably there too Shad; their foraging and fertilizing will probably be doing wonders for that scrubby ground, and it'll be lovely to see them enjoying the spring greens in due course. Can anyone strim the tussocks so they can get in there too?
I could if C would get the allotment brush cutter fixed.

@Shadrach, I thought you'd appreciate this on two fronts...
You know I have a very mixed flock.
Some of them.
View attachment 2962296

Until recently, I've never had any "color cliques". Three of the originals hang out together but they are all very different in appearance.
Now that the Double Silver Laced Barnevelders have started laying and have fully integrated into the flock, I've noticed that Alecia, a high ranking SLW, has started roosting with them.
This morning I found ALL the black and white chickens in my flock lounging in the dust bath area waiting for breakfast. In there are Alecia, Annie (Ancona), Remi (Exchequer LH) and the Barnevelders. The majority of the flock was still in the coop.
View attachment 2962297
This spot they are in tends to get noticably warmer when the sun shines on it through the polycarbonate roof and the opaque tarp covering the walls to block the wind. They figured this out and love to preen in the spa area.

Breakfast this morning.
View attachment 2962300
Fermented Flock Raiser with a tin of sardines and chopped up apple core. :sick They love it but it looks disgusting.
That looks like my cooking.:D Probably tastes better.
That's the kind of temporary fencing I'm think about here. Ideally thin steel pales I can just push into the ground. It's just to keep them from wandering off and me not noticing.

I've tried yogurt and it didn't go down well
if at first you don't succeed... :D mine love natural yogurt. And whey, curds, cheese, anything dairy really. The trouble with yogurt, as opposed to the others in that list, is their tendency to fling it off their beaks and onto someone else's back/neck/head/tail, so that for a short while afterwards everyone looks like they've been splattered with paint :rolleyes::lau

Morning I have a dot on Smudges cone. Realized yesterday he has frostbite.. You can barely see it in this shot but tax paid. We do normaly have weather that cold but did this year. No one else has any marks.
004.jpg

if at first you don't succeed... :D mine love natural yogurt. And whey, curds, cheese, anything dairy really. The trouble with yogurt, as opposed to the others in that list, is their tendency to fling it off their beaks and onto someone else's back/neck/head/tail, so that for a short while afterwards everyone looks like they've been splattered with paint :rolleyes::lau
That is what the freezing solves.

Back
Top Bottom