Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

A rather dirty Matilda.
View attachment 2961927
A half decent picture of Carbon who has still not grown out her tail feather.
View attachment 2961928
A mud digging lap hopper.
View attachment 2961929
Slide looking well and getting used to me checking her bum and crop now. She's looking better than she has for some time.
View attachment 2961930
View attachment 2961931View attachment 2961932
Henry checking the outliers. The rest are gathered around my chair.
View attachment 2961933
Matilda has a long way to go to catch up with my mucky princess :rolleyes:

Can you just add yogurt too that milk and leave it in a warm place
Yes you certainly can. My mother often did that when I was growing up. It makes a nice sour milk sort of drink - tastes very Scandinavian to me.
The cultures in yoghurt are less varied/complex than in Kefir. It makes a milder product so maybe more palatable if you aren't into the fermented taste. But it is a less powerful probiotic.

Yes you certainly can. My mother often did that when I was growing up. It makes a nice sour milk sort of drink - tastes very Scandinavian to me.
The cultures in yoghurt are less varied/complex than in Kefir. It makes a milder product so maybe more palatable if you aren't into the fermented taste. But it is a less powerful probiotic.
Thank you for your kind help :)

How long should I use this medicated feed and is it safe to eat the eggs?
In the US 'medicated feed' contains something calle Amprolium - it is very safe and simply blocks thiamine metabolism that is essential to the life of coccidia and less critical for the chick.
So in the US it is safe to eat eggs from chickens eating medicated feed but it is intended to be used only for the first few weeks of a baby chick's life.
I did once get a bag of medicated feed by accident and everyone ate it with no ill effects.
But you should check what 'medicated' means in the UK because if that means they contain actual antibiotic drugs then it would be a different story.

Last edited:
I finally cleaned out their run, I did it a little a few weeks ago but had help this morning. Their ladder was disgusting again so that had a good scrub down.

I used peppermint lavender and salted water then added fresh wood chips. They just love it in there now.

20220122_151744.jpg

In the US 'medicated feed' contains something calle Amprolium - it is very sfe and simply blocks thiamine metabolism that is essential to the life of coccidia and less critical for the chick.
So in the US it is safe to eat eggs from chickens eating medicated feed but it is intended to be used only for the first few weeks of a baby chick's life.
I did once get a bag of medicated feed by accident and everyone ate it with no ill effects.
But you should check what 'medicated' means in the UK because if that means they contain actual antibiotic drugs then it would be a different story.
They are using flubivent
How long should I use this medicated feed and is it safe to eat the eggs?

https://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/s...kIrqMYrlMqfXaQ534nOMLcUVLxKQPhEhoCJz8QAvD_BwE
@RoyalChick
There is flubenvet in this feed

Back
Top Bottom