Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Well, Mr. Bumble is still alive. I brought him out in the run and watched him for a few minutes. He walked around a little bit, then just stood in one spot with his eyes closed. Now he is inside where I can monitor him better. I gave him some colloidal silver and tried to get him to eat some food. He was pecking at it, but didn't seem to actually ingest much.
I hope he gets better.

I am no expert but I think giving him a rehydratation solution may be useful if he still has really bad diarrhea. On my sick hen I used a home made recipe before I could buy one, it was a mix in 250 ml water of a pinch of salt, two pinch of sugar, a pinch of baking soda (you have to use lukewarm water to have it dissolve properly).

I feed my birds scratch & peck organic feed, plus whatever table scraps we end up with. We only eat organic stuff, so our birds eat better than a lot of ppl.

I also prefer feeding organic to my hens (like we eat). In the EU GMO is banned for human food but not animal food and I don't feel comfortable with feeding soy (the main source here of protein in hen feed) that could be GMO and likely come from zones of amazonian deforestation . However it's difficult to find organic sources of protein that replace soy (which they do not use in the organic feed we can find, probably because it's more rare and more expensive).
So the organic chicken feed we get here is either four times the price, or it's not the greatest, unfortunately. I'd be interested to know if it's the same elsewhere.

Tax from yesterday.

The ex-batts napping under their beloved laurel tree while Théo wonders how to try an approach.
IMG_20220122_155923.jpg

The littles birdies practicing tree roosting making us realize we won't eat many cherry this year 😠
IMG_20220123_090901.jpg

Not sure this is proper chicken behaviour 😶🙈
IMG_20220124_112805.jpg

I also prefer feeding organic to my hens (like we eat). In the EU GMO is banned for human food but not animal food and I don't feel comfortable with feeding soy (the main source here of protein in hen feed) that could be GMO and likely come from zones of amazonian deforestation . However it's difficult to find organic sources of protein that replace soy (which they do not use in the organic feed we can find, probably because it's more rare and more expensive).
So the organic chicken feed we get here is either four times the price, or it's not the greatest, unfortunately. I'd be interested to know if it's the same elsewhere.
It is an absolute shame it is so expensive to eat healthy. We are definitely not fans of Big Ag.

Back
Top Bottom