Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Mr. Bumble is still alive as of this morning. My wife had no luck trying to get him to eat or drink yesterday. I got him to drink half a capful of water and a tiny amount of feed before work today. He did perk up when I brought in the bag of dried grubs and gave it a shake. He did take a few from my hand. I left a handful for him. Hopefully he's improved by the time I get home from work.
Its going to sound odd, have you tried giving him a spoon or two of Gatorade? It gets some sugar in them to help perk them up a little bit.

Shad, i might have missed it, hoes Matilda doing?

Its going to sound odd, have you tried giving him a spoon or two of Gatorade? It gets some sugar in them to help perk them up a little bit.

Shad, i might have missed it, hoes Matilda doing?
My vet recommended Gatorade when I had a poorly chicken. She loved it. Then she introduced the whole tribe to it. They were like junk food addicts with it! But it did it’s job of rehydrating her and getting some calories into her.

Shad, i might have missed it, hoes Matilda doing?It is worth a shot. Thank you.
It is worth a shot. Thank you.

received_520871305856386.jpeg
received_482114383307278.jpeg

And my amazing wife just sent me a few pics of Mr. Bumble eating a little bit more.

She seemed like a very sweet girl, I'm sorry for her passing.
If I may ask, how did you know she had cancer, was it diagnosed by a vet, or were you able to tell?
She was not officially diagnosed. I don't have a vet that sees chickens here. She laid a couple of eggs early last spring and then stopped. Her comb lost all it's color and size and she had just been sickly since. She would have been 2 this spring.

I would think that either the bird is preoccupied with its illness and is not working to rid itself of pests?
Or perhaps the lice/mites are opportunists and the ill bird is sending a chemical signal that encourages the external parasites?
Whatever it is the lice seem to know.:confused:

I have wondered about medicating them as well. She had taken a turn for the worst a couple of days ago and I had decided to put her out of her misery but she was dead when I went to close up the coop for the night.

She will be buried once the ground thaws. We still have a couple feet of snow over the graveyard.
I've had a few that have died the night before I planned to put them out of their misery. That suggests to me that I may be leaving it too late. :confused:
Quite a few people I know just leave nature to take its course. I'm still after all these years not sure what I think about that. It is after all what we do with humans albeit keeping them as pain free as possible.

We have noticed within our short experience with chickens, that a hen unwell will not dustbathe. We kind of got the feeling that when they started dustbathing again, it meant they felt a bit better.
I agree, dustbathing is on my list of signs of recovery, or general wellness.

Back
Top Bottom