Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I suppose this means people from the allotment do not use the soiled bedding on their garden? Or does she compost the shredded newspaper?
They don't and it seems a terrible waste. I have made a rather large pile which despite my hints, C seems unable to make the few metre trip to add to. The mess is still there.

Whatever it is the lice seem to know.:confused:
It is a pretty universal phenomenon across at least mammals (including people) and plants. The body's natural defenses are complex and illness weakens them and parasites are quick to take advantage.
I don't of course mean only lice, a human analogy could be renal dialysis patients getting thrush, or an under-nourished cat getting fleas, or trees that have nutritional deficiencies are more prone to cankers and insect parasites.
So not hugely surprising it applies to chickens too.

Look like she ran out of time or got tired half way through. At least she's taking an interest? :idunno

But it looks more like she's hleping instead of helping.😆
I think it's called multi tasking. You know, where someone tries to do more than they are actually capable of and just makes a hash of everything.

My tina has had laying problems since I used medicated feed. She been in pain while trying to lay :(

Today I had no other alternative other than to give her an Epsom wash then I inserted oil inside her vent.

Finally after 3 days this came out

@sharach please look this has happened since this feed I'm so worried for Tina

View attachment 2975619
I've fed every chick that's hatched medicated feed without problems.
So my first question is why are you feeding Tina, who is a lying hen medicated feed? Medicated feed is for chicks, not laying hens!
I get the impression Marie that you are feeding your chickens with every type of alternative this or that you can find.

Just stick to the layers pellets and the occasional treat such as a bit of haddock and leave the rest of the "organic/alternative" stuff alone.

Its going to sound odd, have you tried giving him a spoon or two of Gatorade? It gets some sugar in them to help perk them up a little bit.

Shad, i might have missed it, hoes Matilda doing?
Matilda seems to be fine. She lays the occasional egg. Doesn't boss anyone around much and likes her time out on the grass.

I've had a few that have died the night before I planned to put them out of their misery. That suggests to me that I may be leaving it too late. :confused:
Quite a few people I know just leave nature to take its course. I'm still after all these years not sure what I think about that. It is after all what we do with humans albeit keeping them as pain free as possible.
Yeah. I should have gotten to her earlier. I've been real sick this past week and wasn't paying enough attention.

I usually take a bit of a mixed approach. If they aren't in a lot of pain, I leave them be. Cases like this girl where they are obviously suffering through and things aren't moving along, I step in. Although not fast enough in her case.

Mr. Bumble appears to have improved, albeit ever so slightly. When I got home from work I hand fed him some dried grubs soaked in kefir, followed by a few capfuls of collidial silver. My wife had gotten him to eat some scrambled eggs as well. Won't say he's out of the woods yet though. I'll be happy when I see a normal little pile of chicken poo.

Back
Top Bottom