Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

The last picture shows the main foragers. Most are laying. They are the last to go to roost. Lima is in there and now she is seriously good at digging. Dusk is in the group too and she's got a lot better at foraging. She follows Lima, not close, but I watch her watching Lima.
P2040333.JPG
P2040336.JPG
P2040337.JPG

Thank you @BY Bob I would love to hear from them either here or in a PM. Appreciate the info!
By all means PM me if you have a specific question. As far as their temperament goes I am a bit of a skeptic about temperament and breeds as I suspect there is as much variation between individuals within a breed as there is between breeds.
That said a couple of observations from my two. First they fly. They are relatively small and quite athletic. They fly because it is faster than running and they run fast too - but sometimes it seems to me they fly just because they can.
Mine aren't lap chickens and don't like to be touched. But that is true of all my chickens. They like my company but only on their own terms which generally means hanging out near me and sometimes coming close to tell me something but not more than that.
I have a strange relationship with one of them (Dotty) but I don't think that is anything to do with breed - it is just her. She views my ankles as an affront and follows me around pecking my legs.
:idunno
Overall I love them - they are busy little birds and are always into everything and a source of endless entertainment!

(we had a chicken friend coming to visit for other stuff, and she took a look and showed us her BAD injuries.)?
On her right side under her wing, she had a big chunk of skin (approximately 4cm by 6cm) torn off from her meat. We could see hardened-off scabs with possibly dried blood on the skin that was falling. That is the injury. It's been almost 3 weeks that she is in the house. She seems to have gained her muscle strength back. But today when I checked her I can still see a pretty big area of skin-less meat (maybe 2cm by 4cm). I also saw she ate a small piece of her own scab when she groomed her right side today...

Back
Top Bottom