Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

G
I fed Mr. Bumble some rehydrated mushrooms(nutritious + an easy way to get water into him) this morning, and he talked to me a little bit. He had been rather silent over the past 10 days or so. He did try to peck at some weeds, but his aim appears to be a bit off.

Pic from last October:
View attachment 2984160
Glad to see he is gradually improving. Chickens are resilient. My wife has pulled a few back from the point that I had given up on.

This lot are a bit skittish. The Ex Battery hens are more adventurous and friendly. This doesn't mean that other Legbars will be the same.
Well, my Legbar is indeed probably my most skittish hen, despite the fact that she was hand raised with two of my most cuddly hens. So in my case, there does appear to be some thing about breed and temperament. She was raised exactly the same as one who likes to hop on my lap and stick her head in my armpit. That being said, she did squat for me this morning and now she’s looking for nest site. She hasn’t laid since early fall.

Well, my Legbar is indeed probably my most skittish hen, despite the fact that she was hand raised with two of my most cuddly hens. So in my case, there does appear to be some thing about breed and temperament. She was raised exactly the same as one who likes to hop on my lap and stick her head in my armpit. That being said, she did squat for me this morning and now she’s looking for nest site. She hasn’t laid since early fall.
Does Flash like to fly?

Does Flash like to fly?
Flash is a decent flyer, but believe it or not, Sunshine, my Easter Egger, is the best flyer in the group. By the way, flash laid her egg today. It’s in the sun room. 🤣
EE2E5268-254A-4F36-8694-AE89593BF15D.jpeg

Shad, I apologize that I’ve not been able to keep up on your thread right now, but I’ve got some stuff going on in my life. You can relate… I’m probably relocating soon. However, my relocation won’t be very far and the chickens will come with me.

I wanted to pick your brain about the chop method that we both commented on. What I’ve been doing for my group lately is kind of an easy compromise between having chop and not having chop, as I’ve been grating some fresh veggies each morning along with giving the sprouted wheat berries. For 10 hens, what do you think is the right amount? Some days I’ve been grating a full carrot as well as a full zucchini, and sometimes even a little cabbage. And that’s on top of the 2 tablespoons of sprouted wheat berries. Do you think that’s too much?

Shad, I apologize that I’ve not been able to keep up on your thread right now, but I’ve got some stuff going on in my life. You can relate… I’m probably relocating soon. However, my relocation won’t be very far and the chickens will come with me.

I wanted to pick your brain about the chop method that we both commented on. What I’ve been doing for my group lately is kind of an easy compromise between having chop and not having chop, as I’ve been grating some fresh veggies each morning along with giving the sprouted wheat berries. For 10 hens, what do you think is the right amount? Some days I’ve been grating a full carrot as well as a full zucchini, and sometimes even a little cabbage. And that’s on top of the 2 tablespoons of sprouted wheat berries. Do you think that’s too much?
Spoiled birds! Lol. I’m curious with this answer. I usually give my girls fruit/veggie scraps every few days but there are 23 of them and a quart sized container of produce. I doubt that’s too much, especially since the grass is covered in snow. They all go crazy!

Here is a picture of Foggy that I took yesterday. The lighting is too dark to show off his feathers.
View attachment 2984081

This is Inky whose picture is hardest to take because she does not let anyone get nearby. But she has the most beautiful tail and feather, and above all, most fluffy butt. Her and Foggy are supposed to be the same breed, a cross between Australorp and RIR.

View attachment 2984085

This is little Tina, a RIR. Small and nimble. Best at getting treats and stealing.
View attachment 2984086

This is big Wendy, another RIR. Fat, slow, and sweet. 😄
View attachment 2984087
Lovely bunch! Little Tina certainly has a look like mischief in this picture 😂.

Back
Top Bottom