Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

This idea of "let's get some chickens (ducks, geese, goats, sheep, rabbits, ect.)!" expanded rapidly in my area with the the start of the pandemic. All of a sudden everyone needed to feel like they lived on a farm. Soon the prime question people asked you once they figured out that you have animals was "how do I take a vacation even though I have chickens and (fill in the blank)?" A couple of months later, the local newspaper ads are full of people trying to get rid of their pandemic animals once they got old enough for the cuteness factor to wear off. Or a favorite of mine is "I got Fluffy to butcher but he's too cute. Free to a good home." The issue has become so prevalent that there is an animal sanctuary being built 10 minutes down the road. The cycle just keeps repeating. Unfortunately I don't think people ever learn.
Whatever happened to being on good terms with your neighbors and asking them to help out when you’re gone? I guess it’s different if you’ve got a big farm, but even then, if you’ve got enough land for a large farm you’ve probably got neighbors that do too. I’ve got at least three different neighbors I can ask if I’m going to be gone, they’re more than happy to help out in exchange for fresh eggs. If I’m going to be gone for an extended vacation, I’ll pay them because I’ll need them to water the garden as well, but it doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to figure something out.

This idea of "let's get some chickens (ducks, geese, goats, sheep, rabbits, ect.)!" expanded rapidly in my area with the the start of the pandemic. All of a sudden everyone needed to feel like they lived on a farm. Soon the prime question people asked you once they figured out that you have animals was "how do I take a vacation even though I have chickens and (fill in the blank)?" A couple of months later, the local newspaper ads are full of people trying to get rid of their pandemic animals once they got old enough for the cuteness factor to wear off. Or a favorite of mine is "I got Fluffy to butcher but he's too cute. Free to a good home." The issue has become so prevalent that there is an animal sanctuary being built 10 minutes down the road. The cycle just keeps repeating. Unfortunately I don't think people ever learn.
The same thing will happen to dogs and cats as well. People are not great at thinking about what they are doing.

Stupid people tax (including a special cat photo for Shad)
20220219_130039.jpg
20220219_130734.jpg

Whatever happened to being on good terms with your neighbors and asking them to help out when you’re gone? I guess it’s different if you’ve got a big farm, but even then, if you’ve got enough land for a large farm you’ve probably got neighbors that do too. I’ve got at least three different neighbors I can ask if I’m going to be gone, they’re more than happy to help out in exchange for fresh eggs. If I’m going to be gone for an extended vacation, I’ll pay them because I’ll need them to water the garden as well, but it doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to figure something out.
The problem is that like attracts like. Those that want to go on vacations and not be tied down to home are probably friends with people who want to go on vacations. Obviously this isn't always the case and some people find solutions but there is enough of this happening that it is a major problem. Something about Legbars and glue comes to mind.

Paying my hefty off topic tax:
1. Ginger (on the right) and Goldilocks on the compost bins. They’re about 19.5 weeks old now.
2. Cordelia going through a weirdly timed neck molt, Peanut in front.
3. Everyone out hunting for the handful of mealworms I harvested from my bins today. It was pleasantly warm for this time of year, though we’re expecting snow tonight and another cold snap for the next week or so where temps will get down into single digits (Fahrenheit) again.
4. My youngest with ‘her Sophia’
5-7. Close ups of Sophia. I’m curious to see if she’ll lay first or Ginger. Pretty sure Peanut, the other Sultan, will lay last. Her face is the least red of the four that have yet to start laying. The Sultans are about 9.5 months.
A lovely set of pictures and I'm delighted to collect them as tax.:D

Back
Top Bottom