Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

@Perris: Thank you for those links. I now have a better understanding of what NG was referring to & the difference between Heritage Hedgerows, managing them & why you said it doesn't take 300 years to grow one ~ though if you want a heritage one it probably will! :lol: I particularly enjoyed the history & knowing Hedgerows date back to the bronze age. Incredible! Yeah, Yeah, ok Shad. Paying tax.
Beautiful birds you have there @Ribh ! I think more hedgerows have disappeared through neglect than active removal - if they're not maintained or grazed they turn into a line of trees or a bramble/braken/scrub patch. But fortunately they can be revived if they haven't gone too far, so it's not the end of the world if they've been left for 5 years or so :p Thereafter it gets trickier. I'm not sure much is added after, say, 5 years' proper maintenance. What exactly makes a 'heritage' hedge in NG's view, other than an occasional very old tree (one that was allowed to grow up) in the middle of it?

Beautiful birds you have there @Ribh ! I think more hedgerows have disappeared through neglect than active removal - if they're not maintained or grazed they turn into a line of trees or a bramble/braken/scrub patch. But fortunately they can be revived if they haven't gone too far, so it's not the end of the world if they've been left for 5 years or so :p Thereafter it gets trickier. I'm not sure much is added after, say, 5 years' proper maintenance. What exactly makes a 'heritage' hedge in NG's view, other than an occasional very old tree (one that was allowed to grow up) in the middle of it?
NG never used the term * heritage*. That is from your links & refers not only to age but to biodiversity. The older, well maintained hedgerows have a greater diversity of small wild plants & animals that either live under or travel through the hedgerows. It is this that makes these hedgerows important & helps with pest control. It is also what fascinates me about them. Anyone can plant a row of trees but developing a good hedgerow takes real skill.
Tax.
My feather duster, Olivia.
20211201_063119 (2).jpg

NG never used the term * heritage*. That is from your links & refers not only to age but to biodiversity. The older, well maintained hedgerows have a greater diversity of small wild plants & animals that either live under or travel through the hedgerows. It is this that makes these hedgerows important & helps with pest control. It is also what fascinates me about them. Anyone can plant a row of trees but developing a good hedgerow takes real skill.
Tax.
View attachment 3007022
I still don't get where the 300 years comes from... seems exaggerated to me
Had Olivia just had a bath?!?

Tax.
View attachment 3007022
That's an interesting bird for sure. I like it because it is different. We have some naked neck chicks. Until my wife came home with the eggs I had never heard of the breed.

Another hawk attack and this time it wounded one of the girls 😞. She's got one eye completely closed and some bloody pecks around the other. We cleaned the wounds and put some saline solution inside her eye, It seems normal inside but the lid is swollen. Now she's inside with us in a box looking like she's in pain, she ate a little though. Don't know yet if it's just complete shock or if she has some internal damage we can't see.

Back
Top Bottom