Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

True since you think a boot is something on a car rather than on a foot. A bonnet also on a vehicle rather than on a head and you throw the letter "u" into any number of words like colour ;)
🤣🤣

Since the Aussies, the Kiwis & pretty much everyone else are with the Brits on this one I think it's you lot that got it wrong. :plbb
I’m going to have to side with the Brits and Aussies and Kiwis here. We Americans haven’t spoken the same language for years, to quote from My Fair Lady. 😆 Though I’m sure that Aussies and Kiwis have their share of divergent language that has happened over time as well. Where does Canada fall on the linguistic spectrum? Probably somewhere between the US and Australia/NZ?

I was listening to a talk by a fellow who grew up in Czechoslovakia and came to the US for some training on US Air Bases. When he was flying to the air base, he sat next to a man who was from the Southern part of the US and had such a heavy accent, the fellow couldn’t hardly understand what the man was saying. The fellow wondered if he’d been taught the right language!

I actually prefer the way ‘grey’ looks on the page, as opposed to the American ‘gray’. I also dislike how neither is pronounced ‘nee-their’ and either is said ‘ee-there’ here.

Off topic linguistic tax:
1. Cordelia was almost friendly hanging out next to me.
2. Desdemona
3. Peanut looking a bit wet. We got some rain here, but not raining so hard that the ladies weren’t out and about. There was some nice snow in the mountains, thank heavens.
4. Sophia and Fuzzy sharing some food. Right before this, Desdemona had tried to come over and eat from that bowl as well, but Fuzzy sent her away.

Attachments

• 04F84F16-58E8-4452-A5C1-C2F4E1A6A540.jpeg
    04F84F16-58E8-4452-A5C1-C2F4E1A6A540.jpeg
    777 KB · Views: 4
  • 3497FAF8-3708-422B-979B-38C89FA5A4C9.jpeg
    3497FAF8-3708-422B-979B-38C89FA5A4C9.jpeg
    814.7 KB · Views: 2
  • C780292F-B493-4B8E-95D9-F7E835E4BC16.jpeg
    C780292F-B493-4B8E-95D9-F7E835E4BC16.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 1
  • F515861D-67A6-4972-A0A8-764EB57FA770.jpeg
    F515861D-67A6-4972-A0A8-764EB57FA770.jpeg
    799.4 KB · Views: 2
How do I feel about that you may wonder; as I do.
I'll tell you how it is. When one of the allotment chickens dies I don't just feel sad, I have to deal with anger as well
When I began reading your thread this was the exact things that made me feel you were some sort of chicken saints. Not going there everyday, or bringing them food, or spending three hours on the bus back and forth, or dealing with C. (Although all of this is certainly to your credit I think you made it clear that was it something you wanted and that being with chickens was a daily task that gave your day sense and structure.)
Having to deal with the fact that with all you do for them, you will see quite a few of them through their last days and death, that will necessarily come on a regular basis due to their age... that's something I find really admirable. I hope you can find some way to deal emotionally with it, I wouldn't be able to.
Well is it worth killing the hen?
I have my doubts. I'm going to give them pain killing meds as soon as they start going down hill and let them die when they are ready.
This and Rib's words lift a heavy weight for me! I've never had to cull a chicken yet. When Vanille was sick we kept wondering what we should do, not having experience, or a vet's advice. We did hesitate to cull her but then she healed completely and has had another six months with a very good quality of life, up to now.
I think I would be way more serene to know that if it feels like a hen is very near to certain death I will leave her with her tribe, and only cull if death does not come naturally after a given number of days. Pain medication changes the deal.

Last edited:
When I began reading your thread this was the exact things that made me feel you were some sort of chicken saints. Not going there everyday, or bringing them food, or spending three hours on the bus back and forth, or dealing with C. (Although all of this is certainly to your credit I think you made it clear that was it something you wanted and that being with chickens was a daily task that gave your day sense and structure.)
Having to deal with the fact that with all you do for them, you will see quite a few of them through their last days and death, that will necessarily come on a regular basis due to their age... that's something I find really admirable. I hope you can find some way to deal emotionally with it, I wouldn't be able to.

This and Rib's words lift a heavy weight for me! I've never had to cull a chicken yet. When Vanille was sick we kept wondering what we should do, not having experience, or a vet's advice. We did hesitate to cull her but then she healed completely and has had another six months with a very good quality of life, up to now.
I think I would be way more serene to know that if it feels like a hen is very near to certain death I will leave her with her tribe, and only cull if death does not come naturally after a given number of days. Pain medication changed the deal.
The vet offered to euthanize Maggie in September of 2020. Something told me that Maggie wasn’t ready to go and here she is 18 months later finding some choice morsel under the tree.

57E3A796-7FA2-4C07-8081-124FBB781C08.jpeg

Some months ago Elizabeth, who had been fine suddenly took to sitting still in the coop. She died a few hours later surrounded by her flock mates. Leaving her be seemed the right thing to do.
Before either of them, Scary was snatched by a fox. That still haunts me as I was only seconds too slow to scare the fox away. I can only hope that she died of fright as soon as she was grabbed.

Last edited:
I don't think Henry read the weather forcast
I wouldn't want to crowd in that coop if I were him either. He's got quite a pair of pretty girls to keep him warm.
That definitely includes mine. Lol. My wife speaks Spanish so I speak a mixture of English and Spanish at home.
I don't have any merit for my english, quite the opposite. I spent a year in the US as a teen and attended a bilingual high school back in France but was too lazy to practice my english the next (almost) 30 years after that😂. You're very lucky to speak Spanish, I'm trying to learn it now, it's the language I've always wanted to be fluent in!
Off topic linguistic tax:
1. Cordelia was almost friendly hanging out next to me.
2. Desdemona
3. Peanut looking a bit wet. We got some rain here, but not raining so hard that the ladies weren’t out and about. There was some nice snow in the mountains, thank heavens.
4. Sophia and Fuzzy sharing some food. Right before this, Desdemona had tried to come over and eat from that bowl as well, but Fuzzy sent her away.
Sorry if you mentioned it before, is Cordelia a mosaic pullet? The name suits her very well, she has quite the dramatic look.

"I don't have any merit for my english, quite the opposite. I spent a year in the US as a teen and attended a bilingual high school back in France but was too lazy to practice my english the next (almost) 30 years after that😂. You're very lucky to speak Spanish, I'm trying to learn it now, it's the language I've always wanted to be fluent in!"

@manue When I met my wife she spoke no English and I spoke very little Spanish: cerveza and margarita being my favorites. Lol. I used to be fluent in German from living there in the late 80s but time has took that from me unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom