Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Quite the opposite here, we may finally have two real days of rain and praying whoever is in charge of the weather for it. Most of the villages have already cut off fountains and limited use of the reservoir waters...groundwaters haven't filled at all during winter and there is no snow on the mountains to melt 😬. If rain doesn't come it will be a disaster for farmers.
We had the well run dry on a few occasions. Fortunately I didn't wash much so it wasn't a big deal.:D
We only had to get water delivered by tanker once.
Water waste was one of my pet hates.

I see on social media chickens that benefit from costly specialized vet interventions still die.
This is a very hard message to get accross to people and even more difficult on a largely American forum where many have the expecation that we can fix things and are relatively new to chicken keeping. I mean no disrespect, but after a few years of struggling to keep a sick chicken alive, only to have it die a few weeks after you think you've dealt with the problem your attitude is likely to change.
External injuries I found are different, possibly because they are often easier to identfy and how to treat them is fairly well understood. I've had some very hostile reactions when I've suggested, particularly with sick chicks, that putting the chick out of it's misery as quickly as possible would be my approach.

We had the well run dry on a few occasions. Fortunately I didn't wash much so it wasn't a big deal.:D
We only had to get water delivered by tanker once.
Water waste was one of my pet hates.
Yep. We were on tank water for years. It teaches you quickly to be careful of what you use. I've noticed all the kids like to take really, really long hot showers these days! 🤣Tax.
20220227_083207 (2).jpg

This is a very hard message to get accross to people and even more difficult on a largely American forum where many have the expecation that we can fix things and are relatively new to chicken keeping. I mean no disrespect, but after a few years of struggling to keep a sick chicken alive, only to have it die a few weeks after you think you've dealt with the problem your attitude is likely to change.
External injuries I found are different, possibly because they are often easier to identfy and how to treat them is fairly well understood. I've had some very hostile reactions when I've suggested, particularly with sick chicks, that putting the chick out of it's misery as quickly as possible would be my approach.
Sick chickens get a couple days and then given mercy. Prolapsed get harvested, because it's going to happen again. Injury usually heals so they get a long time. Although I have 2 lame birds from injurys, but they get around.

I have found that with cats too. If I don't know what is wrong with it neither does the vet. I spent a bunch of money and come home with a dead cat in a box.

My bantam rooster Théo has started nagging one of the hen, Canelle. She was his first crush when we took him as a cockerel. Yesterday evening he chased her into the laurel tree and thrashed her around. It wasn't bad, just some blood on her comb but she is now terrorized of him and runs away as soon as she sees him. She didn't want to come in the coop last night.

He goes after the hens mainly in the morning when they come out of the coop, and in the evening. Should I separate the hen away during that time, or separate the rooster ? Or should I just let them sort it out ? I intervened to take him off her yesterday evening but I'm not sure that was the right thing to do.
He's getting to be really good at standing watch for winged predators now.
View attachment 3072071
This isn't advice. I don't know enough about you chickens or their keeping arrangements to give any.
The advice I got very early on was if you take a rooster out of a tribe for bad behaviour he doesn't go back. It isn't like removing a hen. The reasons this is would take some explanation but if you follow that the rooster is always with his hens reasoning then it isnt hard to see that no rooster, no tribe focal point.
Please nobody take the rooster is always with his hens literally, it's just the view that leads the reasons most easily.

Back
Top Bottom