Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

"putting a small fountain and some grits inside to provide an early meal" suggests a foodstuff. "Even the first day some whole grits chopped up with a knife will be greatly relished, and the day following may be given entire" ditto. "Economy in food; as all eggs, grits, and other dainty food go to the chicks. " ditto. "When the young are a week old, they can have some cracked corn, or oat and wheat grits; oatmeal with about ten per cent. of pure bone- meal mixed with it is excellent." I think that's pretty conclusive don't you?
Yes, I think that is pretty conclusive. His "grits" are some kind of food.

Although I still wonder why he thinks those "grits" will help the chicks' gizzards to function 🤔

Skeksis is my all time favorite pet.
Man it's hard to keep up with you all. So I'm going to jump in here to say I am totally smitten with Skeksis. When I first started with chickens I thought NNs where horrid looking. They have really grown on me, to the point of adding Showgirls to my growing want list. Now I want a Skeksis! So, tax. Fluffy butt pic of my Java, Shelley. All four of my lovelies helping weed my garden area.

Attachments

• Mary Shelley.JPG
    Mary Shelley.JPG
    637.2 KB · Views: 1
  • more weeding.JPG
    more weeding.JPG
    856.7 KB · Views: 1
Grits (the food) originated with Native American tribes in what is now the Southern part of the US.
I don’t know when this chap was writing or where he was from but if it isn’t Southern US I suspect grits for him was the plural of grit meaning small stones.
My understanding is that whats called grits in the south is what the rest of us call polenta. I think that is finely ground corn, so it might make sense that is what he really meant.

I was surprised you and others found it funny, but I then understood no one read the second caption 🙂. I'm more a dark grim than a funny poster!

Mine don't fly either. Vanille is perched on my partner's shoulder. They also really love grapes!
I read the grim part with feeling but the talking chicken part was so funny I had to reply to it.

Man it's hard to keep up with you all. So I'm going to jump in here to say I am totally smitten with Skeksis. When I first started with chickens I thought NNs where horrid looking. They have really grown on me, to the point of adding Showgirls to my growing want list. Now I want a Skeksis! So, tax. Fluffy butt pic of my Java, Shelley. All four of my lovelies helping weed my garden area.
Skeksis is incredibly unique. I have seen plenty of frizzle naked necks, but none quite look like her. Guess it's the floppy comb and laced cravat.

We have a blind baby chick. Anyone have any experience with one?
Did you read @Perris's article ?https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/raising-a-blind-or-partially-sighted-chicken.75986/
After having read it I searched a few threads relative to the same subject and found out the ways of dealing and the outcomes were not always the same. I guess a situation where there's not one clear good way of doing things but choices.

My understanding is that whats called grits in the south is what the rest of us call polenta. I think that is finely ground corn, so it might make sense that is what he really meant.
I had never heard of grits before and in fact found out what it was on BYC some days ago on the breakfast thread 😂.

Tax from two weeks ago, one of those time Théo played Mr nice guy.

IMG_20220513_095629.jpg

Back
Top Bottom