Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

That makes more sense now.
One of the problems I had in Catalonia was much of what I got told was in a mixture of rural Catalan and Spanish. I don't speak any Spanish and rural/farming Catalan is rather different to the Catalan one learns for every day general use. It's the phrases that throw you, much like in English and many words in Catalan do not translate accurately into English. My favourite so far was trying to look for spiders when what was meant was mites.
Spiders and the bloody mites both have 8 legs. That explains it.
And I do understand you have difficulties with other languages than English of course. English is not always easy to translate to Dutch either. Or the other way around as hou must have noticed.

My tax for today,
Sideways bc my mobile doesn’t want to put it right.
80CE8188-65EE-4B52-A27E-6062C899638C.jpeg
My chickies were trespassing today. Went for a streetwalk and after that to the neighbour’s strawberry garden.
These are my own (behind a rabbit fence to prevent the robbers to steal them. )
AB7CA043-3A36-4552-A07B-781CA3F4687F.jpeg

One of the Penedesenca pullets is looking broody; if she sleeps in the nest box tonight, tomorrow I will give her the eggs Venka laid last week; it's a last chance for her to pass on her genes, and if we're really lucky, we'll get another hen as good as she was. :fl View attachment 3142197
I had to look up the breed (I am not good on chicken breeds at the best of times) because oh my, that is a very pretty chicken!

I can attest to the vitamin d deficiency. Thought I was developing depression during Covid lockdown due to tiredness and lack of motivation to do anything. Doc thought it could be thyroid so she had me go in for blood work tests including vitamin D. Minimum acceptable level at thr very lowest was 30. I was 16. 😳 I now take an OTC supplement from April-September and a prescription high-dose from October-March. Has made a huge difference, including fighting off colds and illness. I am also outside as much as possible (like @ManueB said) but it did not make a difference.

I can attest to the vitamin d deficiency. Thought I was developing depression during Covid lockdown due to tiredness and lack of motivation to do anything. Doc thought it could be thyroid so she had me go in for blood work tests including vitamin D. Minimum acceptable level at thr very lowest was 30. I was 16. 😳 I now take an OTC supplement from April-September and a prescription high-dose from October-March. Has made a huge difference, including fighting off colds and illness. I am also outside as much as possible (like @ManueB said) but it did not make a difference.
Several years ago, I tested low on vit D and they wanted to retest in a few months. I never went back for the retest. That winter, I fell and broke my wrist. D helps your body absorb calcium. Wish I'd gone back for the retest and taken it seriously. It was a year before my hand was back to normal, which is 98% of what it was before.

Tax: Just a cute picture of Stormy checking out what's on the other side of the nest box door.

IMG_E2073.JPG

I had to look up the breed (I am not good on chicken breeds at the best of times) because oh my, that is a very pretty chicken!
the picture is of my lost Venka, a Swedish Flower; she was my prettiest hen. The Penedesencas I've got are partridge plumage - also very nice, but that snow leopard colouring was something else. I miss her dearly. I do hope some of her eggs hatch. One of last week's hatch was hers, the brown chick, but I suspect it's a boy.

the picture is of my lost Venka, a Swedish Flower; she was my prettiest hen. The Penedesencas I've got are partridge plumage - also very nice, but that snow leopard colouring was something else. I miss her dearly. I do hope some of her eggs hatch. One of last week's hatch was hers, the brown chick, but I suspect it's a boy.
Oh dear Venka. Definitely a beauty.

I had to look them up too, RC ~ & they are seriously gorgeous chickens that are not available here. 🤣 Probably a good thing or I would be adding some to my circus.

Back
Top Bottom