Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

It seems to me that the changes in people perception of the chicken is going to push chicken keeping, where it will still be permitted by law which will become more restrictive in time, towards the free ranging model.
One might have thought that on a website concerend with chicken keeping the advances in the study and understanding of chicken behaviour and intelligence would be front page news for every new study. I only know of myself and a couple of other people that try to promote such studies. Why is that?
Is it because it's easier to mistreat other species, even some of our own if they are considered sub human, low intelligence, dime a dozen products?

Is it because it's easier to mistreat other species, even some of our own if they are considered sub human, low intelligence, dime a dozen products?
Also easier to eat them. And helps us lean away from the awful reality that we humans are actually brutal predators and currently, by far, the most destructive invasives on earth.

Living in nature and caring for "livestock" has been staggeringly life changing. I never thought the result of realizing homesteading dreams would be that I'd spend years figuring out how to forgive myself for being human. Or that I'd find a thread on a chicken website where it made sense to share these kinds of deep, existential meditations 🤔

I think market forces have a lot to do with it. Quite a few contributors - wittingly or unwittingly - seem to specialize in fostering anxieties and undermining confidence, and then presenting solutions which normally come in handy packages available from your local store.
I never even imagined something like this.
Either I'm very naive or you are a chicken conspirationist 😂. But you claimed not to be! So....

I did a few times upon reading some threads, think that some answers that could have been made with some reservations were very assertive.
Also easier to eat them. And helps us lean away from the awful reality that we humans are actually brutal predators and currently, by far, the most destructive invasives on earth.

Living in nature and caring for "livestock" has been staggeringly life changing. I never thought the result of realizing homesteading dreams would be that I'd spend years figuring out how to forgive myself for being human. Or that I'd find a thread on a chicken website where it made sense to share these kinds of deep, existential meditations 🤔
I could almost have written that but I still feel strange associating existential meditations and chickens in the same sentence 😂.

But I imagine they were visibly ill or injured when you took them to a vet, so not their normal weight?
That is probably right. I tend to be a bit conservative about intervention, so I observe to see if they improve on their own with supportive care from me. So probably you are right, by the time I seek help they have probably lost some body condition.
I am trying to get better about more regular weigh-ins but was taken up with Bernadette's leg and Minnie's sour crop so let that slide a bit.

Reading historical accounts makes me think people were worse before. Especially to other people. Iron maiden, drawn and quartered, hung, burnt or impaled on a stake......

Watching chickens quarter a live Robin fledgling so they all get a piece, eating bugs, babie snakes and Pinky's alive or ripped apart by the mob. Reminds me they are predators too.

It seems to me that the changes in people perception of the chicken is going to push chicken keeping, where it will still be permitted by law which will become more restrictive in time, towards the free ranging model.
One might have thought that on a website concerend with chicken keeping the advances in the study and understanding of chicken behaviour and intelligence would be front page news for every new study. I only know of myself and a couple of other people that try to promote such studies. Why is that?
I don't think it is specific to chickens - I find very few people are interested in the data and even fewer know how to evaluate a scientific study and assess the validity of its findings.
In that environment 'I heard' or 'my experience' takes the place of statistically valid evidence and then all sorts of random stuff gets repeated as 'fact'.
One of my least favorite is the 'separate the chicken' edict as the first thing to do if you have one that is 'off' in some way. I get it for contageous infections, I get it if in fact they are being pecked to death. But mostly I don't get it.

I don't think it is specific to chickens - I find very few people are interested in the data and even fewer know how to evaluate a scientific study and assess the validity of its findings.
In that environment 'I heard' or 'my experience' takes the place of statistically valid evidence and then all sorts of random stuff gets repeated as 'fact'.
One of my least favorite is the 'separate the chicken' edict as the first thing to do if you have one that is 'off' in some way. I get it for contageous infections, I get it if in fact they are being pecked to death. But mostly I don't get it.
Not too many studies on chickens. They are cheap and not kept long in a commercial setting.
Keeping a bird separate makes it easier to treat or observe. I usually leave them with the flock though.

I find very few people are interested in the data and even fewer know how to evaluate a scientific study and assess the validity of its findings.
I couldn't agree more. There's also a lot of 'never mind the quality, feel the width' type argument.

Back
Top Bottom