Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

It was an interesting read! Did you read his conversation with the AI? What were your thoughts?
Hal from 2001. Terminator, and quite a few books.:lol:

I've discussed the issue with people and now I'm of the age that I don't care much because it probably won't effect me, except perhaps to make me irritated.

So if you order 9 chicks of 3 different breeds and each breed is only available from one hatchery each hatchery ships 3 chicks? I don't see how that works since the hatcheries usually have a minimum higher than that and charge $35 for small order shipping.
Hmmm. Probably not. And MPC does have distribution places. So now I am not so sure.
We could ask them!

So if you order 9 chicks of 3 different breeds and each breed is only available from one hatchery each hatchery ships 3 chicks? I don't see how that works since the hatcheries usually have a minimum higher than that and charge $35 for small order shipping.
I found this posted from someone at My Pet Chicken. I did not realize they also had their own flocks.
Post in thread 'My Pet Chicken (Hatchery)'https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-pet-chicken-hatchery.1148343/post-17943054

Naked necks
20220623_202202.jpg
20220623_202146.jpg

Technically impressive! But is it really a dance if there's no inner joy? I'd also like to know the extent to which the robots are responding to the music - if it suddenly switched to a waltz, would they waltz or continue with their agility displays?
The inner joy apparent in the video is absolutely from the programers themselves, not the robots. This is a programmed sequence. This video makes me smile every time because to me, it is a bunch of geeks using the robots as an artistic medium to express themselves, as any artist does in other mediums. Boston Dynamic robots can problem solve to the extent that they can traverse difficult terrain, open doors, crouch, etc, when told to get from point A to point B, but responding to music is not in the AI.

I don't fear these inquisitive, creative scientific minds, what I fear is that every time some wonderful invention comes along, some evil **** comes along afterwards and turns it to pure profit or even direct destructiveness.

The inner joy apparent in the video is absolutely from the programers themselves, not the robots. This is a programmed sequence. This video makes me smile every time because to me, it is a bunch of geeks using the robots as an artistic medium to express themselves, as any artist does in other mediums. Boston Dynamic robots can problem solve to the extent that they can traverse difficult terrain, open doors, crouch, etc, when told to get from point A to point B, but responding to music is not in the AI.

I don't fear these inquisitive, creative scientific minds, what I fear is that every time some wonderful invention comes along, some evil **** comes along afterwards and turns it to pure profit or even direct destructiveness.
I would've thought BD coders do as most others and code what the organisation's profit motive determines they should code. That said, I'm sure they were over the moon when it all came together! Getting systems like that to be so strong and agile is a huge feat of systems engineering.

So, I don't always see coding as an artform, more of a professional skill. I'm sure some coders express their artistry through code but from those parts of the ICT sector I've seen, they'd be in the minority.

(Like all comments, there are a lot of contextual factors in what I've written above, the big one being Australia!)

I would've thought BD coders do as most others and code what the organisation's profit motive determines they should code. That said, I'm sure they were over the moon when it all came together! Getting systems like that to be so strong and agile is a huge feat of systems engineering.

So, I don't always see coding as an artform, more of a professional skill. I'm sure some coders express their artistry through code but from those parts of the ICT sector I've seen, they'd be in the minority.
Oh, there are plenty of BD videos of the robots doing the skills they are "supposed" to be doing, as per the organization's vision. Yet, they keep putting out these fun videos as well, that show the creative side of coding. Those coders had to come up with the moves they wanted to code, to get it to go with the music - they had to be choreographers. And in the process, they pushed the types of moves those machines could do.

Oh, there are plenty of BD videos of the robots doing the skills they are "supposed" to be doing, as per the organization's vision. Yet, they keep putting out these fun videos as well, that show the creative side of coding. Those coders had to come up with the moves they wanted to code, to get it to go with the music - they had to be choreographers. And in the process, they pushed the types of moves those machines could do.
Well, if BD is going to create a market for its surveillance and policing technologies in the civil sector (in order to serve their stakeholders) they need to reduce the fear response and dancing helps with that mission.

To switch to a different brand name, I'm sure you already know that Google provides 20% time where staff work on whatever project they like for one day each week because it passes a cost-benefit analysis - skills are kept sharp, motivations are kept high, there's less churn of staff, and there are new products for generating profit. It's a win-win-win-win proposition for a small cost, which can be reduced even further by supporting staff in being productive for longer hours. If it failed a cost-benefit analysis, Google wouldn't allow their staff to play and be artistic, and nor I suspect would BD.

At the same time, I don't doubt for a minute that the people behind the code are very joyful when it all comes together. If they weren't delighted by their technical accomplishments, they'd be the wrong people for BD which needs such staff if it's going to keep pushing the technical limits. Grouchy and bored coders are not going to put in the kind of hours, passion, and commitment needed to reach the technical achievements BD aims at.

Random update tax. The feral chicks.
Healthy & active.
20220623_180949.jpg
20220623_180837.jpg

Note the 1" of feed piled up? These are the chicks that used to have to survive off of my chickens tiny leftover morsels and did it gladly. Now...? 🙄
They also get chirpy if they are low on anything or when treat time comes. Pretty cute little buggahs. This early eve I hunted them a few handfuls of bugs and the brave ones quickly grabbed some out of my hands.

I think next week at the pasture I may release them.

Back
Top Bottom