Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Chipie's family is showing me the difference between having chickens outside all time but contained in a rather large area, which is my actual setup, and total free range.

I can check on my chickens in less than two or three minutes most of the times.
Chipie and the chicks walk through the nettings and are going further and further away each day. Much further than any of the other chicken that sometimes escape has ever been. I never know where they are, and they are very mobile and quick.
It's taking up a lot of my time in the last mornings as I'm trying to make sure the cats don't eat them 😂.
She has been trying to get them in the coop, but one is growing slower and still can't fly and get on the roost. I hope it's not a serious problem. And also, Théo is still chasing them. I take it as a good sign that he did let them shelter when we had a thunderstorm yesterday.
View attachment 3162413

View attachment 3162414
View attachment 3162412
There are 3 cats at my place (they are not my cats personally) plus some from the neighbors. They are all absolutely and completely terrified of broody hens. I've watched each of the cats being whomped by the hens. They only take a beating once and then stay well away. I was worried by my sister-in-law's cat as this one actually can catch mice and birds, but she is fully terrified of the hens too when they have chicks.
If you have a tough broody mama I wouldn't think cats are going to be your problem.

it's probably dealing with one or more of whatever's endemic to your patch. Hopefully it will make a swift recovery and gather some immunity in the process.
Yes, it could be that. I guess I'll see soon enough.
How are yours doing and Eve ? Picture please 😂. Apart from Amedea/o, did you name the other two?
I was worried by my sister-in-law's cat as this one actually can catch mice and birds, but she is fully terrified of the hens too when they have chicks.
If you have a tough broody mama I wouldn't think cats are going to be your problem.
My cats were raised as barn cats to hunt, they're excellent at it. They are afraid of our hens but Chipie the broody is a tiny bantam, even if she screams like hell, and the chicks are beginning to wander away sometimes two or three meters from her. I already stopped the male cat three times from getting one.

It's only a problem in the early morning as the cats go to sleep around 9. I will lock them up if it lasts.

How are yours doing and Eve ? Picture please 😂. Apart from Amedea/o, did you name the other two?
they're doing fine thanks. Caught a glimpse of Amadeo's wattles yesterday, at 3 weeks old, so that confirms it's Amadeo not Amadea! Jury's still out on Dyffryn (Swedish Flower) and Ida (Braekel). They wander off too, and are now jumping in to eat with the senior members of the flock. When they do, all birds junior to Eve run away to the other feeder (even if Eve's not close), while flock master Chirk and 2nd hen Venka eat round the chicks, as does top hen Maria, unless one really gets on her nerves, in which case it gets a very carefully measured tap between the shoulders to put it in its place. They are learning already to keep an eye on her :p I'll try to get a decent photo today between the showers ...

Yes, it could be that. I guess I'll see soon enough.

My cats were raised as barn cats to hunt, they're excellent at it. They are afraid of our hens but Chipie the broody is a tiny bantam, even if she screams like hell, and the chicks are beginning to wander away sometimes two or three meters from her. I already stopped the male cat three times from getting one.

It's only a problem in the early morning as the cats go to sleep around 9. I will lock them up if it lasts.
I always kept my broodies with chicks in a small cage/run. At about 3-4 weeks the broodies/chicks could get out to a larger temporary run (not safe) if I was around to supervise. Or to mingle with the other hens in the flock in the larger cat safe run.

We don’t have real barn cats around here. But the cat’s of our neighbours (2+2) are hunters too. Yesterday one of these cats ran through our garden with a mouse* in her mouth. Probably to bring it home as a present to the owner.

Edited: She was so fast that I wasn’t sure wat it was.

Last edited:
P1110477.JPG

Here we are: Amadeo left, Ida in the lead, Eve centre, and Dyffryn right. I think you can see Amadeo's reddening comb even at this distance!

Back
Top Bottom