Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Good morning X Batts. Still with non ending mucus assault.
Not sick anymore ?
It is to be 80's here, birds have been excellent health.
Taking colloidal silver to the water buckets. 2 dishpans of ice. One for water other one the floor with crumble sprinkled over it.
Tax Paid
003.jpg

Chipie's family is showing me the difference between having chickens outside all time but contained in a rather large area, which is my actual setup, and total free range.

I can check on my chickens in less than two or three minutes most of the times.
Chipie and the chicks walk through the nettings and are going further and further away each day. Much further than any of the other chicken that sometimes escape has ever been. I never know where they are, and they are very mobile and quick.
It's taking up a lot of my time in the last mornings as I'm trying to make sure the cats don't eat them 😂.
She has been trying to get them in the coop, but one is growing slower and still can't fly and get on the roost. I hope it's not a serious problem. And also, Théo is still chasing them. I take it as a good sign that he did let them shelter when we had a thunderstorm yesterday.
View attachment 3162413

View attachment 3162414
View attachment 3162412
Yup, it all gets very different when there are no movement restrictions.
I found with the Tribes that they formed a basic territory of abount an acre per tribe.
As soon as mum thought the chicks could manage the distance she took them to certain places that defined the tribe territories. This got done in a day usually. One morning mum and chicks would set off and instead of knowing they were probably not far from the coop, I would have to actively search four acres of ground to find them. From then on mum and chicks could be anywhere, but you get to know the more likely places pretty quickly if you can watch them.

There are 3 cats at my place (they are not my cats personally) plus some from the neighbors. They are all absolutely and completely terrified of broody hens. I've watched each of the cats being whomped by the hens. They only take a beating once and then stay well away. I was worried by my sister-in-law's cat as this one actually can catch mice and birds, but she is fully terrified of the hens too when they have chicks.
If you have a tough broody mama I wouldn't think cats are going to be your problem.
I would think the same from my experience. I've had more physical damage from broody hens than I have from any rooster.:D

they're doing fine thanks. Caught a glimpse of Amadeo's wattles yesterday, at 3 weeks old, so that confirms it's Amadeo not Amadea! Jury's still out on Dyffryn (Swedish Flower) and Ida (Braekel). They wander off too, and are now jumping in to eat with the senior members of the flock. When they do, all birds junior to Eve run away to the other feeder (even if Eve's not close), while flock master Chirk and 2nd hen Venka eat round the chicks, as does top hen Maria, unless one really gets on her nerves, in which case it gets a very carefully measured tap between the shoulders to put it in its place. They are learning already to keep an eye on her :p I'll try to get a decent photo today between the showers ...
I sometimes wonder if those "OMG the other hens are attacking the chicks" posts are keepers seeing the discipline peck you've written about. I've seen mums give such peacks often but with the roosters it's been when food is involved. Once mum stops fending for them they're last in the line as far as the rest of the chickens are concerend it seems.

Sunny spells, as they say.
The not so sunny bit is I have one broody and five fence hoppers. This means I've got to count them every so often and find out where the escapee/s are.
The Ex Battery hens are never going to look much better than scruffy in their current environment I've come to realise. Their feathers, as Manue mentions, seem to be particularly fragile. The next problem is they will insist on crouching for Henry.:barnieI tell them to run.:D
Matilda, Fret and the Legbars can all tell Henry "not just now sweetheart." Okay, there is some violence involved on those bad hair days, but Henry is pretty good. He'll take no for an answer like a gentleman and go and find one that will say yes.:lol:
The Ex Battery hens are curious about everything and it shows in their faces. They were the first to lay eggs in the new coop egg boxes. I really like the look of them.
P6251276.JPG
P6251277.JPG
P6251279.JPG
P6251280.JPG
P6251281.JPG
P6251285.JPG

Sunny spells, as they say.
The not so sunny bit is I have one broody and five fence hoppers. This means I've got to count them every so often and find out where the escapee/s are.
The Ex Battery hens are never going to look much better than scruffy in their current environment I've come to realise. Their feathers, as Manue mentions, seem to be particularly fragile. The next problem is they will insist on crouching for Henry.:barnieI tell them to run.:D
Matilda, Fret and the Legbars can all tell Henry "not just now sweetheart." Okay, there is some violence involved on those bad hair days, but Henry is pretty good. He'll take no for an answer like a gentleman and go and find one that will say yes.:lol:
The Ex Battery hens are curious about everything and it shows in their faces. They were the first to lay eggs in the new coop egg boxes. I really like the look of them.View attachment 3163260View attachment 3163261View attachment 3163262View attachment 3163263View attachment 3163264View attachment 3163265
I noticed Sandy had brittle feathers and bald patch roughly where the top of her crop would have been and she was a hybrid red laying hen. If you're really worried about it, would biotin and choline strengthen their feathers?

I noticed Sandy had brittle feathers and bald patch roughly where the top of her crop would have been and she was a hybrid red laying hen. If you're really worried about it, would biotin and choline strengthen their feathers?
I'm not really worried about it. I think it may be a genetic problem rather than diet and of course in the case of plucking a learned behaviour. Can they unlearn it?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom