Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Yep, still raining. They did get out for an hour or so.
P6291322.JPG
P6291323.JPG

Despite it being a bit windy and rather damp the usual suspects went for the outside roost bar. plus a couple on the box underneath.
P6291329.JPG
P6291330.JPG

There are two roosting in the new coop after a fashion. They sleep in the nest boxes, one each. Just caught number two going in.
P6291332.JPG

About three weeks ago this hen had a couple of raised scales and she went on the to do list. I've had a couple of other things apart from the new coop that have taken priority.
Last week I checked her over and things had got a lot worse.
P6271304.JPG

I got on with the job this evening. This is after her first smothering in Vaseline.
I'll do her again every few days for a couple of weeks now.
P6291326.JPG

Ten chicks. 😊 All different breeds. We chose docile, cold hardy breeds that lay a few different colors, so hopefully I can monitor for health issues if one stops laying suddenly or has any egg laying issues that might be a clue to something going wrong. They’ll have a nice 8x8 coop for plenty of space in the winter if they choose to stay indoors.

The Brahma is my favorite looks-wise. Pardon the green marking, they did it so I wouldn’t confuse her with the Faverolles (although I can tell the difference, I appreciate the thought.)

Here she is when we first put her in the brooder:

View attachment 3168332
I like the look of Brahmas but for the type of keeping conditions I'm interested in they are not a good choice unfortunately.

@Iluveggers how cute!

@Shadrach How was you’re allotment day + the train/bus trip today? Hopefully the rains stopped.
A bit over three hours including travel so not too bad. Not much point in going to stand out in the rain while they stay under the coop so on rainy days I allow for an hour at the allotments which gives me enough time to do the feed, clean out the nest boxes which I try and do daily, fresh water, egg collection, while they get some excercise.
The rain hasn't stopped and wont until the weekend apparently.

Back
Top Bottom