Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

They don't think you can see the extra toes on the Faverolles?
I guess there a lot of uninformed chick buyers out there. :idunno

I like the look of Brahmas but for the type of keeping conditions I'm interested in they are not a good choice unfortunately.
Makes total sense. We don’t have feathered feet at the family farm either for similar reasons, but with a small home flock with lots of attention & a roofed run, I figured I would give it a go.

Edited to add Buff Orpington baby tax:
1656552711105.jpeg

Yep, still raining. They did get out for an hour or so.
View attachment 3168324View attachment 3168325

Despite it being a bit windy and rather damp the usual suspects went for the outside roost bar. plus a couple on the box underneath.
View attachment 3168326View attachment 3168328

There are two roosting in the new coop after a fashion. They sleep in the nest boxes, one each. Just caught number two going in.
View attachment 3168329

About three weeks ago this hen had a couple of raised scales and she went on the to do list. I've had a couple of other things apart from the new coop that have taken priority.
Last week I checked her over and things had got a lot worse.
View attachment 3168349
I got on with the job this evening. This is after her first smothering in Vaseline.
I'll do her again every few days for a couple of weeks now.
View attachment 3168331
Well that definitely proves that nice weather is not the reason they roost outside ! I suppose Henry's british spirit makes him impervious to the rain.

I wonder if the hens that went to sleep in the nest boxes in the new coop, are also some of the one who lay in there, or if they just wanted to be by themselves. Anyway if they went in the nest boxes rather than on the roost bars it probably means they agree with you that those are not well placed.

Mostly eventually they sort it out.
What a story. Thanks for sharing. Hope the Chipie family will get wiser soon. (Chicks learn amazingly quick). 💕
You were right, they got this, I'm so relieved 😁. Chipie went in the same nest box an hour and a half before the adults bedtime. After ten minutes the smallest one got up there on his own ! And this morning they came down much safer.
The other hens didn't protest as much, though they made some angry sounds and faces this morning.
IMG_20220630_064330.jpg

They tried by all means to get in the pen that is blocked for the chicks as if to say since the chicks are coming in our place we should be allowed in theirs.
IMG_20220630_064424.jpg

I got assaulted during breakfast again. She made broody screams that clearly meant stand and deliver.

IMG_20220630_063350.jpg

IMG_20220630_065243.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220630_064424.jpg
    IMG_20220630_064424.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220630_063350.jpg
    IMG_20220630_063350.jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 2
Ten chicks. 😊 All different breeds. We chose docile, cold hardy breeds that lay a few different colors, so hopefully I can monitor for health issues if one stops laying suddenly or has any egg laying issues that might be a clue to something going wrong. They’ll have a nice 8x8 coop for plenty of space in the winter if they choose to stay indoors.

The Brahma is my favorite looks-wise. Pardon the green marking, they did it so I wouldn’t confuse her with the Faverolles (although I can tell the difference, I appreciate the thought.)

Here she is when we first put her in the brooder:

View attachment 3168332
So tiny! The difference in adult sizes doesn't reflect in chicks ?
Will you be keeping the ten of them ? I think you said you couldn't have roosters ?
Is she snubbing sweet Mr Bumble ? He looks so smitten with her🥰.

You were right, they got this, I'm so relieved 😁. Chipie went in the same nest box an hour and a half before the adults bedtime. After ten minutes the smallest one got up there on his own ! And this morning they came down much safer.
The other hens didn't protest as much, though they made some angry sounds and faces this morning.
View attachment 3168822

They tried by all means to get in the pen that is blocked for the chicks as if to say since the chicks are coming in our place we should be allowed in theirs.
View attachment 3168825

I got assaulted during breakfast again. She made broody screams that clearly meant stand and deliver.

View attachment 3168829

View attachment 3168832
The chick on the table is very cute with its rather large feet.

Venka's eggs are due to hatch tomorrow... I'm on tenterhooks. Her novice surrogate incubating them (Paprika, the twice-broken-3-times-gone-broody-even-as-a-pullet Penedesenca) seems to be a natural and has stayed the course, and it's her birthday today 🍾, so she will be a real hen when they hatch tomorrow :D
I hope it goes well :fl

Back
Top Bottom