Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Thank you for all the input regarding the time broodies stay with their chicks, I'm feeling more confident for that little one knowing it won't be on it's own for a while! Especially as Théo and one of the hen, Blanche, are still chasing them with no pity.
Poofy Jr is still with her baby going on 2 months.
"Poofy Jr" ? What a name! I didn't know the meaning and it conjured images of a fat Garfield like hen, but I looked up the meaning and it's not that at all. Was Poofy senior her mum 😁?
picking up the foraging theme again, this is a really good read for anyone interested in the quality of their pasture, and how to improve it:
https://egginnovations.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Pastured_Poultry_Nutrition_and_Forages-1.pdf
It's been a real problem with us this year with the lack of water. Usually the chicken zone stays fairly lush until the middle to end of July but this year it's already pretty dry and the bald patches where the hens scratch too hard have grown too big. We usually have lots of green weeds to add from the garden, amaranth, lamb's quarter and orache but not this year. We've been trying to grow an alfalfa field and used detoured canal water in the first three weeks only : it just hasn't grown for lack of rain! I hope it won't be as dry next year but we are going to have to look how to handle pastures with less water, if it's even possible. I guess it means we'll have to give the chickens more space.

I walked down the village yesterday which I hadn't for a month or so and I saw a few houses are still watering their lawns even though we're under water restrictions 🤬. People are crazy... firemen are restricted using water to put fires down and they want green lawns ?

Last edited:
finally got a look at the new brood:
DSC01106.JPG

7 of 8 out, and the last (whole egg, bottom of picture) is alive and cheeping and still working on it. I shall check in again later and hope it makes it.
I'm so glad Venka's eggs were fertile and most (hopefully all) of her chicks healthy, and that Paprika did such a good job incubating them! She's a star :love . One of those chicks is Maria's - the little one with the very obvious crest, top left I'm guessing - and one is Neath's - the brown one with chipmunk stripes I guess - because the one struggling is one of Venka's.

Last edited:
finally got a look at the new brood: View attachment 3171389
7 of 8 out, and the last (whole egg, bottom of picture) is alive and cheeping and still working on it. I shall check in again later and hope it makes it.
I'm so glad Venka's eggs were fertile and most (hopefully all) of her chicks healthy, and that Paprika did such a good job incubating them! She's a star :love . One of those chicks is Maria's - the little one with the very obvious crest, top left I'm guessing - and one is Neath's - the brown one with chipmunk stripes I guess - because the one struggling is one of Venka's.
Wonderful 💚! And they are very cute !
So that will make 10, maybe 11 chicks in all ? Talk about chicken maths !

picking up the foraging theme again, this is a really good read for anyone interested in the quality of their pasture, and how to improve it:
https://egginnovations.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Pastured_Poultry_Nutrition_and_Forages-1.pdf
What a great article. Reading it has made me late to go to the hardware store for some chicken coop essentials but it was well worth it. It has also left me feeling good about the forage area my Princesses have and my habit of sitting with them in the evening while they forage.
I wonder why red clover is called out specifically vs white (I have an abundance of white and have never even seen red clover!).
Anyway, thank you for sharing - dashing off now to get bolts for the Hooligan's roost extension.

finally got a look at the new brood: View attachment 3171389
I am dying to see Venka's chicks growing up. Hope you will share pictures!

It's in! :wee
A friend and took the gate off and slid it in on its side.
A perfect fit on the post lugs into the underside of the coop.
It was almost dark by the time I had fitted the ramp and got the gate back on.
There are a couple of problems though.
The roost bars are plastic and made to go through the two small round holes you can see on the front and back of the coop. They are too high so I'll need to make something to replace them.
The seam around the roof to front and back hasn't been cut very well and the gaps will need filling on two sections.
It's likely to be quite warm in there when it's summer. I don't know how much a problem this is yet.
At the moment I'm just pleased its in and it fitted the base as planned.
View attachment 3148704View attachment 3148706View attachment 3148707View attachment 3148708
Cool, Shad!

Back
Top Bottom