Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

hang on a minute - it's not just pictures! I'm sure I've read you extolling letting them in to wander round your main room at least, and of course there's the nest box conveniently placed inside the window at coffee table height, and I'm sure I could find more if I had a good ol' rummage in the back issues of your threads...!
Ah! You're getting the pursuit of knowledge confused with keeping pets.:p:lol:

The problem is that out of laziness the bedding and chicken shite has just been thrown in the floor and is up to a foot thick in places. So not only is the ground slippery it's got hills!
Shocking the gardeners don't relieve the chickens of that prized hill of future fertilizer. What kind of gardeners are these guys anyways?! 🤯 oh, lazy. Got it.

People are crazy... firemen are restricted using water to put fires down and they want green lawns ?
Time to inform the gendarme

I wonder why red clover is called out specifically vs white (I have an abundance of white and have never even seen red clover!).
Red clover is the state flower of Vermont. Apparently bees can't use it but they can use the white.

I was wondering the same. Any true gardener would be sneaking in and stealing the stuff!
I'd be begging for it. Such a great supply so conveniently close and possibly free fertilizer- already aged! I would def offer my services or materials in trade for it so I could have the prettiest garden with the best yields possible. Also, conditioning soil and adding micro nutrients. Isn't that what the allotments are all about? Or just a stand so someone does not take their view?

I have 1 friend who gives me a bucket to fill with pooh for her, plus plenty people who would love for me to bag my composted poop for them.
As it is, we sell our composted horse poop for 5 bucks a feed bag and that is a screaming sweet deal. Just does miracles for ones soil.

One question, do you guys ever just throw poo filled shavings directly in a garden bed? I was thinking at the end of growing season just covering all the beds with uncomposted coop litter.
I do, but my bedding is pea straw for this exact reason. I'm not sure if the shavings would break down quickly enough but they could be scraped back for planting. All my bedding goes directly into all the gardens over the winter, and then into whatever area I am working on for future gardens during the growing season.

One question, do you guys ever just throw poo filled shavings directly in a garden bed? I was thinking at the end of growing season just covering all the beds with uncomposted coop litter.
I sometimes chuck the morning poop pickings around the base of any nearby shrub or tree that looks like it would appreciate it, but only in spring or summer or early autumn when the plants are actively growing or fruiting. I find it works best at the bottom of a planting hole, lightly rotted down.

Back
Top Bottom