Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

20220706_164935.jpg

🎆Congratulations, Shad!🎆
Your posts are among the very few that make sense to me. While I do view my chickens as pets I have always liked your keeping arrangments & within my limitations have implemented what I could.
Ha'penny is back on the lay.
1657144814557.png

I'm lucky no~one decided to sit.
The bantams have been busy! 🙄
Good thing the little rotters aren't kept for their eggs!😂

1657144850608.png

You must have BIG chickens and a small cat! Even our lightest cat at something over 8 pounds (probably about 2 kg) weighs more than my biggest hen. Not that it matters since the cats aren't allowed out of the house and the chickens are not allowed in.
I was describing proportions not weight. Blossom considers herself much smaller than Mary, who considers herself much bigger than Blossom.

I'm sure that if the cat considered herself big enough, she'd stand up to the chook.

I got myself a really cheap smartphone, I believe the quality of the photo it takes is slightly below what is required to enter. And I'm forbidding myself from looking at all those picture competition threads because someone thinks I should be helping him work instead of spending time on my phone!
I've got one of those. I detest it. I've had a go or two with the ones with a higher IQ and they're just as bad.

Oh I would be thrilled to pay $14 for a 50lb bag of feed. 😲 organic lay is $30+++ and just regular layer crumble is $26 and ⬆️⬆️⬆️. I have managed to keep my feed bill around $100 the last few months. Smarter me getting smarter feeders. 🤔💡

On a cool note. Emptied one compost bin and closed and turned the other.View attachment 3176075 Opened to check on bug status and saw dozen and dozens of sergeant fly larvae slithering back into hiding in the muck.View attachment 3176068
The larvae drop between the cracks of the tumbler where I can get 50 to 100 a day on the tray below. Warm weather bumper harvest yum!
I like your compost bins.

This thread has reached the quarter million views.:eek:
I did not expect anything like this response when I started it. It was, as I have written near the begining, more of a diary which would not necessarily be of much interest to most.

I would like to thank all of you who have read, contributed and supported this thread. It wouldn't have happened without you all.
Also thank you for trying to keep the thread on topic and paying your taxes.:p
Hey, thanks for running the thread and sharing your observations and experience!

Like Ribh, to me your chicken wisdom makes sense, so I implement what I can within my constraints and I'm sure the hens are happier because of your efforts to share and advise.

Congratulation's Shadrach!
So many views! :eek:
Take the credits, you earn them!

This thread is so much more than some stories and lessons about rescues. Of course there are many readers who love to learn from someone with tons of experience. I especially love the lessons about chicken behaviour.. :clap

And I loved to see how you changed a miserable flock into a group of happy and healthy chickens within a few months. -> Great respect for you’re unbelievable care.

781FDDE4-6CE6-45F5-8923-E98C2FCABB6A.jpeg

Tax: No rescues.but bantams on the terrace. Their tiny eggs are not for sale.

I have no idea why but everyone went to roost earlier this evening. Recently I've finished a bit after 10pm. The train I catch leaves at 10.30. It's a 15 minute walk to the station heading West and a 20 minute walk heading East to the next station on the line. I quite enjoy the walk East. I'm told it's good for me.:rolleyes: If I walk to and from it, that's a 40 minutes walking. The bus stop is only 5 minutes walk and there's a bus that should leave at 10pm. I managed to catch it this evening. All the transport options improve as I get to leave earlier with the change of dusk time.
They ate 1.2 kilos this evening.
P7061394.JPG

Fret.
P7061398.JPG
P7061402.JPG

I've been sorting out this ones beak bit by bit. It did have a chip and fracture running half up her beak. Some idiot with some kind of clipper I expect. The chip is out now and with a bit of luck we'll get more of a point on the beak over the next weeks.
P7061399.JPG

Good night all. Henry doesn't even bother pulling his head out of his armpit now when I do the hens crop check and barely wakes up when I do his.
P7061406.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom