Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Here at least, you can buy it in bales just like hay or oat/wheat straw. It's literally the pea vines, dried and baled. My hens go nuts for it because it's full of peas the harvester missed.
some of my birds love peas, others are not so keen. I'm about to try them with maple peas, which are regular peas but dried on the vine in the field, so presumably like the escapees your birds harvest from the vines. Perhaps they are the equivalent of vine-ripened tomatoes, for those chickens who like peas anyway :p

ssshhh, listen, I have a plan...
P1110553.JPG

I keep wondering how people and animals manage and will manage in places like yours that were already really hot. Nice job and I hope the ventilation helps! But I suppose the warmest hours are during the day, when they are outside their coop ?

🥰 How is Sky ?

I think bantam eggs are really underrated and they could be the next thing. To me they are just the right size for breakfast, they fit exactly when fried on a slice of bread. They are very quaint and pretty. I never saw them on sale whereas quail eggs can be bought in supermarket, I think the bantam eggs are just as nice!

Yesterday I witnessed something I've read about on BYC but never actually saw in my flock. I was giving them weeds and Vanille, the alpha hen, attacked Blanche violently ; she chased her and tried to mount her like a rooster! I've wondered before if she was competing for power with Théo.

Caramel, the hen behind Cannelle in the picture, who was really sick two months ago is just starting to look like her old self. I worry she will start to lay again because last time it made her unwell again.
View attachment 3176722

Can you spot the explorers ?
I just love looking at the landscape in your pictures! (& of course, the chickens, too!)

Although of course the quantity matters. One fresh dropping on a lawn does not seem to cause any problem, but people usually handle it by the shovel or bucket or wheelbarrow.
Sometimes when mine poop on the “lawn,” which is really just a mini pasture of grass and clover for them, mowed occasionally to keep DH happy, I can hose it into the soil with no issue. If I just leave it there, there’s no issue, either.

Morning X Batts We did have rain in the night ..
If this is summer I hate to see fall.
Send our way @PJ! I love the rain and we have been dryer than usual... and yes, then there is summer to make it through. Hoping we get some remnant moisture from the cat 2- 500 miles off the coast of Mexico but we all know how hoping for rain goes, like wishing for sunshine.

Back
Top Bottom