Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

In April 2021 I returned to the UK having spent the last ten years living with and studying various groups of chickens on a small holding In Catalonia Spain.

Some of you may have read some of my posts and seen pictures of what I call The Tribes, in my house and free ranging on the land. I’ve written a number of articles here on BYC based on my observations of these tribes and there is an as yet unpublished book that deals with the lives of these chickens and what I have learned from a decade of observing them and the experience of helping out with the care of free range chickens on my uncles farm in my youth.

I had decided even before leaving Catalonia that should I have to leave the tribes and my home what I would like to do was look after ex battery chickens and rescues given the opportunity. That opportunity arose in September of this year 2021.

A family member, knowing how much I miss the Tribes, mentioned that she though she knew where there were some chickens and one evening when out walking we visited the site. There was a rather old and partially illegible sign on the notice board at the entrance to the site asking for someone who would be prepared to help looking after the chickens. I contacted the person concerned and this thread is in part a record of the subsequent events.

The sign.
View attachment 2906940
That’s wonderful. I’d love to read your work. I’m going to look for articles. I went to college in Bristol.

Bit of a sad day here today, 3x 15 week cockerels off to their date with dinner. I've kept one, in the hopes we move to our larger property before 2 roosters on a smallish property becomes an issue. That's the outcome of hatching chickens though, and they go to feed a family. The entire flock goes on high alert when they see me coming with my net! I try to get the catching and boxing done as quickly and efficiently as possible and return to my usual non threatening, net-free, food-lady status.
Here is the lucky cockerel who gets to stay a bit longer, with his not so lucky brother behind him.
View attachment 3179084

Beautiful!

Good morning X Batts. We seem to have made it to Summer..
Boys in a stand off for Tax.
007.jpg

Back
Top Bottom