Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I take quite a few pictures when I'm at the allotment. I'm deleting more than I save thankfully. I keep meaning to thin my picture directory out.
What I have found is I often only notice things about the chickens from looking at a picture. My eyesight isn't that clever which doesn't help.

I don't think Matilda is ill but I think she gets tired more easily and the picture below illustrates this.
P9290326.JPG
P9290322.JPG
P9290323.JPG
P9290324.JPG

@Shadrach, I had a cheap tarp over part of my run. The tarp lasted about 9 months; better than I thought it would. It broke down in the sun and you could see tiny holes in it.

I replaced it with a black/silver tarp, probably similar to the one you linked to. I've used that kind of tarp before over a different part of the run, and it held up VERY well. (It's covering a woodpile now.) I'm thinking this new one will last 2-3 years, easily.

It also has about twice as many grommet holes as the cheap one, so it can be tied down more securely.

This is Paprika's clutch taken at the beginning of the month (my device for transferring photos from camera to computer is bust; replacement due but till then I can't upload photos so they have to be already stored ones) View attachment 3275004
3 have inherited Venka's snow leopard colouring :love and are obviously pure SFH, so Chirk or Sven was dad. 3 are brown/red, and while one of those wasn't Venka's, I think the other two, which are Venka's, must have a different non-SFH dad (Phoenix is the obvious candidate). The mainly black one is Maria's (+ Phoenix, I think), and is a cockerel. The other cockerel is bottom left, and I think he is pure SFH.

This is Maria's two (best recent photo I can find; you can see one well at least!)View attachment 3275005
The one in front is Gigi's + Chirk, the one behind is Maria's + ?. They're in the ungainly teenage phase.
❤️ but wat are SFH?
And why not post directly from you’re phone? I do that all the time.

B1D83F6A-DBA2-4A87-9B86-69F13C6808BE.jpeg

Tax without chickens. Hike on the Veluwe, in the Netherlands , about 20 km from where I live.

I certainly saw her being mated by both. People wanting to breed specific roos to specific hens are warned in the old handbooks to remove any unwanted roos at least 3 weeks before collecting eggs, as their sperm can be viable and stored in the hen's body. Venka's clutch seems to prove that hens can retain and use sperm from more than one roo.
Are you sure no other hen laid an egg in Venca’s nest?

Back
Top Bottom