Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

That's Lima. She doesn't seem any worse for roosting on the new coop roost bar.
PA280563.JPG

Light rain this morning and a sunny afternoon.
PA280562.JPG
PA280566.JPG
PA280564.JPG
PA280560.JPG

Poor Henry. Even Matilda won't roost next to him because she's moulting.:hit
PA280567.JPG

Looks like Lima is happy with her new roosting location. She can see and hear the other hens.
PA280568.JPG

Long covid fatigue.
I'm slowly getting better. But I have a rooster and 2 toms I should have butchered last year. And now there's at least 6 jakes and 7 cockerels ready now and next week or before snow.
Meat getting low in the freezer, so that should help with motivation.

I did a couple cockerels in the spring. I was working on the 2nd when I had to lay down I was so weak.
Hopefully I can get 2 done without laying down lol
Wow, I do hope you recover completely before the upcoming winter!

I was so carefull and lucky I didn’t get Covid so far.

Tax from Pearl for a little comfort.
CEF12FCB-1D9A-48F4-B45F-5757D362765A.jpeg

She’s not even half the size of a normal sized chicken, but she counts for 2 hens. 😍

Be careful with sharp gravel. I understand from other chicken keepers this can cause bumble foot.

I made a drainage by hand-drilling deep holes with a tool for poles. And filling these with pebbles. Works great for 7 years already.
Sounds like French Drains using an auger. I've never heard of vertical drains, but why not? If it works, it works. :)

He's a bit subdued at the moment. He's shedding leg scales and feathers.
Losing feathers is okay for this time of year. But his legs do look pretty nasty indeed. It must be frustrating for you that the treatments don't seem to be working the way they should.

Sounds like French Drains using an auger. I've never heard of vertical drains, but why not? If it works, it works. :)
No it’s not a french drain and not an auger. This is a pic of the tool I’ve used.

1667004219595.jpeg

It obvious doesn’t work if you have a layer of sand on top of solid rock.
The verticals drains work great for me, because drilling deep gets me through a layer of dense clay that causes the stagnation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom