Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Yes, you have it right.

The new DEFRA regulations is speculation because the new recommendations haven't been published yet. The recommendatons are not going to become more lax and they are already restrictive.

The threat to prosecute in event the regulations are breached is fact. The ability to make sure the regulations are adhered to is very unlikely and for the private keeper I doubt enforcable.

The council have made it quite clear in the past they want to build on the plot so it's as fact as far as intention but perhaps not the ability at the moment.
you may find this useful if you don't already know it
https://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment-information/allotments-the-law/
I'm assuming the council is the landlord from what you said

Last edited:
I did not volunteer to help the group stand up to C.
Unless the group members are prepared to say they all own the chickens and are prepared to get involved in their care and decisions about their future then C can do as they please.
Can you remind me what C's formal status is vis-a-vis the allotments in general and the chickens in particular? She evidently assumes or believes that she is in charge of both, but if she just stepped up when her partner died/disappeared, that may not be well founded.

Interesting to note that C thinks they have the right to make arrangements to sell property they don't own without consulting the owner first.
I thought you handled that with a lot more restraint than I would have been able to muster. The most charitable spin I can put on it is that she thinks she's doing you a favour by making all the arrangements (much like Mary Jane's interpretation of an earlier episode...?) I can't help wondering why she's not attempting to rehome most of the birds (she's keeping some) and their Solway coop together (or is she?)? That's the impression I get from the texts.

The new DEFRA regulations is speculation because the new recommendations haven't been published yet. The recommendatons are not going to become more lax and they are already restrictive.

The threat to prosecute in event the regulations are breached is fact. The ability to make sure the regulations are adhered to is very unlikely and for the private keeper I doubt enforcable.
an item in yesterday's Guardian, but I only found today, is relevant. The current rules, devised for different circumstances, are ineffective and immoral in the current circumstances, to wit, endemic levels of infection with it in the wild bird population year round, and the more people know what's going on, the quicker it will stop.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...lling-of-140m-farmed-birds-since-last-october

C reminds me of a toxic former coworker who once let slip she struggles with a personality disorder. Researching the disorder later, the phrase, "persistent lack of self love" stuck out. I figured the only way to counter that would be persistent compassion. As much as she damaged my career, I can find compassion for someone who deals with that kind of pain.

From then on, I started every interaction with a soothing sentiment: "Wow, you did such a great job there," or, "That's awful they didn't recognize how hard you worked!" It was like a switch flipped. She still found ways to cause chaos, but rarely with me, whereas before I'd been a main target. Somehow she never figured out what I was doing. The only side effect was throwing up in my mouth while complimenting her screw ups. Dishonesty isn't my cup of tea.

If you have a goal to reach with C before you part ways, I highly recommend this approach.

Examples would be, "Wow, your bird netting is...going to make birds think twice." And, "Gosh, it must be difficult dealing with all the ways people are accusing you of stealing." <--Kidding. You have to really make her feel seen. She knows she's screwing up but can't stop until someone sees her. I worry for Henry.

an item in yesterday's Guardian, but I only found today, is relevant. The current rules, devised for different circumstances, are ineffective and immoral in the current circumstances, to wit, endemic levels of infection with it in the wild bird population year round, and the more people know what's going on, the quicker it will stop.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...lling-of-140m-farmed-birds-since-last-october
I have believed for a long time that herd immunity is the only solution for any virus. I have also watched an unbelievable number of food producing facilities be burned to the ground over the last year. I may be wearing a tin foil hat, but it looks like culling domestic food birds is a deliberate attempt to reduce meat/protein consumption in humans. In no way does it prevent AI. And the gov had better stay away from my birds. ⚔️⛏️🪓 or whatever it takes.

Back
Top Bottom