Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Ex Batts good afternoon one and all!

67 sunny 47% humidity feels like 66 rain 0%.

@Shadrach Do you think Henry and the hens miss the rest of the hens NOW?

Have a great day!
Ella is the only one who shows obvious signs of missing the other three she came with. No sign of Fret being remotely bothered. Can't say about the remaining Legbar and Lima lives in a different world anyway.:love

Ella is the only one who shows obvious signs of missing the other three she came with. No sign of Fret being remotely bothered. Can't say about the remaining Legbar and Lima lives in a different world anyway.:love
Just did a speed read of what happened to the exbat flock. I know I missed much. I am saddened as I felt slightly invested in your flock to Shad. Great job caring and steering that flock in the time it was your Kuleana. Good negotiating Henrys better, softer outcome. My heart is breaking a little with this new chapter. Hope all is well ♡

Just did a speed read of what happened to the exbat flock. I know I missed much. I am saddened as I felt slightly invested in your flock to Shad. Great job caring and steering that flock in the time it was your Kuleana. Good negotiating Henrys better, softer outcome. My heart is breaking a little with this new chapter. Hope all is well ♡
It's been a rough road.
I heard a story yesterday from someone who I consider to be level headed and reliable. The chickens were an issue long before I arrived.
Apparently C's plan has always been to try and make money by getting Ex Battery hens which at 18 months are still laying regulalry and selling their eggs.
As soon as they stopped laying or got sick, C would either leave them to die or kill them off if they didn't die quickly and replace them with more Ex Battery hens. I know many other people do much the same, but hopefully not by stuffing 26 chickens in a coop suitable for four. The person who told me this also told me that C refused to do anything effective about an infestaion of red mite in the coop a couple of years ago, saying all chickens have mites and their life is better than at the battery, refused to tend to some of the injuries the hens have sustained over the yearsand refused to listen to anybodies advice who knew more than C does.
This is now the third person who has told me similar stories.

C neither knows the first thing about chicken keeping nor is interested in learning. If through all this C decides, as seems to be the case, that walking a few yards from their house to the allotments to feed the chickens in the morning is too much trouble and buying the feed they require and keeping them to any reasonable interpretation of DEFRA's guidlines is too expensive, then there will be one less person in the world abusing the species.

There are just five left now and I can afford to feed, medicate and house them if C stops contributing. I could even arrange a system that would mean if C stopped feeding them altogether (I clean them out and inspect them now anyway, plus do the housing requirements) I could ensure that food was available in the mornings.

I and a couple of others believe that what has happened is C read the DEFRA guidlines I posted on the original whatsapp group while I was in it and has realised they are wide open to prosecution for some serious breaches of the guidlines. For example DEFRA will prosecute for the wrong disposal of dead chickens. They take that quite seriously. Throwing the dead bodies in the woods would not be taken lightly because of the risk of spreading disease. The keeping of medication records is also considered important. Apparently the recent attempts by C to put netting over the runs (this has been a DEFRA requirement for almost three years now as has the covering of ponds not contained in a covered run) was brought on by the link to the DEFRA guidlines I posted.

It's been a rough road.
I heard a story yesterday from someone who I consider to be level headed and reliable. The chickens were an issue long before I arrived.
Apparently C's plan has always been to try and make money by getting Ex Battery hens which at 18 months are still laying regulalry and selling their eggs.
As soon as they stopped laying or got sick, C would either leave them to die or kill them off if they didn't die quickly and replace them with more Ex Battery hens. I know many other people do much the same, but hopefully not by stuffing 26 chickens in a coop suitable for four. The person who told me this also told me that C refused to do anything effective about an infestaion of red mite in the coop a couple of years ago, saying all chickens have mites and their life is better than at the battery, refused to tend to some of the injuries the hens have sustained over the yearsand refused to listen to anybodies advice who knew more than C does.
This is now the third person who has told me similar stories.

C neither knows the first thing about chicken keeping nor is interested in learning. If through all this C decides, as seems to be the case, that walking a few yards from their house to the allotments to feed the chickens in the morning is too much trouble and buying the feed they require and keeping them to any reasonable interpretation of DEFRA's guidlines is too expensive, then there will be one less person in the world abusing the species.

There are just five left now and I can afford to feed, medicate and house them if C stops contributing. I could even arrange a system that would mean if C stopped feeding them altogether (I clean them out and inspect them now anyway, plus do the housing requirements) I could ensure that food was available in the mornings.

I and a couple of others believe that what has happened is C read the DEFRA guidlines I posted on the original whatsapp group while I was in it and has realised they are wide open to prosecution for some serious breaches of the guidlines. For example DEFRA will prosecute for the wrong disposal of dead chickens. They take that quite seriously. Throwing the dead bodies in the woods would not be taken lightly because of the risk of spreading disease. The keeping of medication records is also considered important. Apparently the recent attempts by C to put netting over the runs (this has been a DEFRA requirement for almost three years now as has the covering of ponds not contained in a covered run) was brought on by the link to the DEFRA guidlines I posted.
Makes me want to go hug my chooks and check them for bugs.
Funny how the plight of chickens gets me all teary-eyed. The little sweethearts ♡

I don't know if you remember that goofy ferel cockerel that I loosely named after Shad lol.
Well, went up to Koke'e last week and happy to report he is alive and well. He is still awkwardly tagging along as opposed to being the welcomed suitor.
20230101_073723.jpg

Back
Top Bottom