Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

not where she's digging! Mine learn to stand to the side and not move in to explore what's revealed until they're sure she's moved on to the next patch, on pain of being flung a foot or two behind :p
I had a rummage for a photo or two, and found this from August last year
P1110830.JPG

and I realize that my experience may not be typical; our house stands on a terrace, and the terrace is surrounded by a bed, and broodies spend a great deal of time working their way round where the wall meets the lawn. I've no idea what she grubs up there but they like it, and the cover is terrific of course. Anyway, it's quite obvious from the photo that the chicks (these are about 3 days old) cannot physically get in front of her in this situation.

It never ceases to amaze me how Hipparchus discovered the precession of the equinoxes in the second century BC.
I find almost all of the early scientific findings utterly gobsmacking.

Taxes!

Attachments

• IMG_2023-01-11-20-25-36-234.jpg
    IMG_2023-01-11-20-25-36-234.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 5
Same here.

The lady’s take on the egg laying situation was interesting to me, because of her emphasis on nutrition has on the bird. Like you and @BDutch have noted, mine lay with far less light and I’m of the opinion the increasing/decreasing has much more influence on laying that those that spout the magical number. Hopefully that came across in what I was trying to articulate in my comments regarding the article. Its been a busy week and my thoughts have all jumbled. I wanted to share it because it was the first time I’d seen someone on that group have a fairly comprehensive look at the intersection of food quality, climate, and laying. Most parts of the state hover around freezing the entire winter, with the northernmost part routinely staying below freezing most of the winter. That definitely will have an impact on a bird but most people around here seem to chalk it up to daylight hours. If that makes sense. I’m off to bed, my brain is far past optimal functioning.
It is interesting. I don't do much in the way of social media and the few times I've tried I've been appauled by some, if not most of stuff I've read on the various chicken groups.

It is interesting. I don't do much in the way of social media and the few times I've tried I've been appauled by some, if not most of stuff I've read on the various chicken groups.
the algorithms promote stuff that's attention-grabbing, without concern for the type of attention it grabs or why it grabs such attention. Too often the bullies and the bonkers rise to the top. Perfect environment for demagogues :(.

that's a good point. If a normal person using simple tools tries to establish any of the cardinal four points in the calendar, it's practically impossible to get closer than about 3 days, and for most of us a fortnight is good going.

It never ceases to amaze me how Hipparchus discovered the precession of the equinoxes in the second century BC.

I guess chickens have less of an obsession with precision than us, and more of a 'that'll do' attitude :D
Henry goes to roost a few minutes either side of the Met Office sunset times. He's very reliable in this.

Back
Top Bottom