Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Yet one more thing we should know and understand about chickens but don't.
From chick to fully feathered pullets there are either 3 or 4 moults depending on who one consults.
Most chickens undergo a moult of some sort after the summer. Some chickens moult at other times of the year.
Some hens (first full moult usually) have a hard time of it and look dreadful. From what I've seen, as the hen matures the moults become less sever.
Rooster moulting, again from what I've seen can go on throughtout the year and there is no drastic loss of feathers at any point.

The above is a generalization and that's about as good as it gets when it comes to the complexities of how biology functions. We may find that a particular combination of circumstances will trigger a moult but until we know exactly how it all works we won't be able to predict a moult.

I'm not suggesting you have forgotton but chickens are not machines which for some ridululously small percentage error, will do the same thing until it breaks.
In other words, they are predictable. Most creatures behaviour is not easily predicted.

An interesting view from one of my Catalan keepiing friends on why battery hens have such major loss of feathers isn't so much that they get pecked out, more the hen is constantly stressed and undergoes stress moulting. Of course, any feathers that drop out get eaten by the other chickens so even if one wanted to properly investigate this it would be incredibly difficult.
Thank you for taking the time to write this. That was very informative! It feels like there are so many aspects that should be studied now chickens are becoming pets, instead of just livestock.

Blanche has always been a stressed hen, that's why I wondered if there could be a correlation.
I've had two friends in the last ten years suffer from complete loss of all hair (head and body) after a huge shock, I know humans physiology is completely different from birds, but I think it's also why I thought of stress related to molt.
Excessive feather loss in a flock (which I'm not comparing to usual molting as I suppose most of it amounts to feather picking) is mentioned in some of the studies that have been cited on this thread as one of the indicators of well-being , or rather unwell-being.

Blanche
IMG_20230211_155057.jpg

A distinctive container for a high value treat is a great idea - I'm more likely be consistent that way.

That will either be very fun or scare them to death 🤣....
I grew up herding dairy cows and taming youngstock by finding the pivot point between flight and not. Then leaning or raising/lowering a hand a bit (or even just eyes or shoulders depending on how untamed they were) - just enough to press in on the edge of their flight zone if I wanted them to move or ease off it if I wanted to tame them.

Chickens are more reactive than cattle but the concept works. I just need to go slower - actual speed or smaller changes in stance.

I can try both calling them and herding them to see which they respond to better.

They will be coming out these west-facing doors, going between the shed and the garden to the south of the shed, then turning into a run (not built yet) beyond the current garden fence to the east. Then back the same way.

The walls of shed and garden fence actually will it more difficult because I won't be able to get the right angle to turn them. I might have to build some hurdles or something.

Attachments

• 7A65818C-F249-4A80-80DD-1764E7ADAD30.jpeg
    7A65818C-F249-4A80-80DD-1764E7ADAD30.jpeg
    868.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Day off today. Hopefully C will feed the chickens and geese something.

Getting the old coop down has become a pressing matter. Mum rat is living under it.:he
I had planned to try and save the run part but having tested a few screws and have the heads shear off it may not be a going proposition. Looks like a busy week ahead.

Mum rat is living under it.
You might be able to turn this to your chickens' advantage if you're lucky: I once inadvertently exposed a nest when I lifted a compost bin, and the chickens were in there like a shot; naked baby rats provided that day's protein for the quickest off the mark!

I looked to see if I could find a stat with legal firearm related deaths per 100,000 in the US, but could not find one.

It must be difficult to acquire an illegal firearm in the Netherlands. The US has many illegal firearms smuggled across the border. If our residents lose the right to carry firearms legally, criminals will gain much here. An interesting stat I did find:
View attachment 3401825
I would bet to venture that legal firearm deaths in the US is close to the Netherlands. However banning legal firearms here would not decrease the amount of firearm deaths. Too many illegal guns on our city streets.

Out of curiosity, what types of predators can be found in the Netherlands? Here in the US, living in certain areas we are up against coyotes, wolves, bobcats, black bears, alligators, and a slew of other animals that could cause harm with no protection.

I think many times people have a “one size fits all” solution to a problem. If the factors are not equal, the solution would not work when applied to another area.

Sorry for the off-topic. I have a family member who works on a task force to take illegal guns off the streets, and it is amazing how many illegal firearms are in surrounding communities. I have no problem with folks owning firearms legally. I wish there was a way to prevent more illegal ones from coming in.

Tax for firearm stats & explanations:
My poor farm EE, almost at the end of her molt. I miss her turquoise blue eggs! She is looking much better the past few days.
View attachment 3401828
I am certain that the number of legal firearms deaths in the NL is not as high as in the US . But I have no reliable source to post from.

We have not so much big predators as you have in the states. Has to do with the number of people living in a small country and use of land for agricultural means. We have very little natural forests and no mountains.
But we do have: foxes, wolfs, badgers , dogs, and smaller ones like polecats and martens. Some of your predators are only be seen in the zoo. ;).

You might be able to turn this to your chickens' advantage if you're lucky: I once inadvertently exposed a nest when I lifted a compost bin, and the chickens were in there like a shot; naked baby rats provided that day's protein for the quickest off the mark!
I did something similar when the rats moved in under the first duck shed I made in Catalonia. The only chicken that was interested in try to eat the young was Donk. The rest just ignored the baby rats. I wonder if Lima would eat baby rats.

Trying hard not to inflame, but will offer the Australian perspective.

And I'm speaking first person anecdotally because I've no time to look things up.

The freedom to walk in the most dangerous neighbourhood with NO fear: I love it.

The freedom to walk in *every* neighbourhood with NO fear: I love it.

The freedom to trust other random Australians won't hurt me: I love it.

The freedom to feed a family on one minimum wage job: I love it.

Housing on minimum wage. That's another question. Landlords are more interested in money than housing people.

Taxes to uplift our community:

IMG_2023-02-10-18-45-01-753.jpg

Back
Top Bottom