Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Roosting time is more peacfull with Henry in the new coop.

Even after all the rain we've had the coop inner walls remaind free of condensation but the bedding felt slightly damp. Fix that and the rest of the bits and pieces would be further improvements.
I’m finally within 100 pages of finishing the current thread. In the past ten(ish) months my browser on my phone crashed, and I told myself I’d start following the thread again when I had time. But then I graduated pharmacy school, started hunting for jobs in earnest, took the licensure exams, became a full-time pharmacist (?!) and within the past month realized I need to MAKE the time to get caught up. First I’m sobbing at the Dodo clip of—Fleur and Belle? and then the mid-December heartbreak erupts. 😭🤯

My perspective is changed now forever, and my bed is soaked in tears.

“Sometimes ones best is just not good enough. It's a lesson it seems that is unpopular in current times but it is one of the most important life lessons to be learned.”
(The quote box disappeared: now I see why BYCing on a mobile phone isn’t always the best 😂) Somewhere in this field I will post tax from this morning before work when I knew I’d be responding sometime soon, I just had no way of knowing how soon. 😭

7B1BE6E2-BCC0-4FB7-8D92-C6CB16CD9FDF.jpeg

5E07433D-6D44-4EB7-BC8A-2DDAF1065436.jpeg

23585AC0-2564-4289-BF35-A91A50DD183B.jpeg
Birds preening right next to my shoes is as close to a hug as I can ask from my guineas!

F5F616AF-72D5-4E47-97E9-D6578B8385AA.jpeg
Pecking my shoes is also acceptable 🤪

⬇️ many
I clicked like but I feel like crying. :hugs
Edit: spacing/format

Last edited:
C
I’m finally within 100 pages of finishing the current thread. In the past ten(ish) months my browser on my phone crashed, and I told myself I’d start following the thread again when I had time. But then I graduated pharmacy school, started hunting for jobs in earnest, took the licensure exams, became a full-time pharmacist (?!) and within the past month realized I need to MAKE the time to get caught up. First I’m sobbing at the Dodo clip of—Fleur and Belle? and then the mid-December heartbreak erupts. 😭🤯

My perspective is changed now forever, and my bed is soaked in tears.

“Sometimes ones best is just not good enough. It's a lesson it seems that is unpopular in current times but it is one of the most important life lessons to be learned.”
(The quote box disappeared: now I see why BYCing on a mobile phone isn’t always the best 😂) Somewhere in this field I will post tax from this morning before work when I knew I’d be responding sometime soon, I just had no way of knowing how soon. 😭

View attachment 3418638
View attachment 3418633
View attachment 3418635
Birds preening right next to my shoes is as close to a hug as I can ask from my guineas!

View attachment 3418637
Pecking my shoes is also acceptable 🤪

⬇️ many

Edit: spacing/format
Congratulations on passing the pharmacy exams and finding a job.

Grey with light showers. About 5C.
The geese were out.
Food and out.
P3010464.JPG
P3010466.JPG

Something is changing. They are spending far less time on open ground and go to rest around the Rosemary bush or where Ella is in the first picture. Some cover on both sides with two or maybe three routes out. When the leaves on the bushes are grown this would be a good spot.
P3010469.JPG

The compost heap has become another favourite location. Good routes out and reasonable cover. again from the bench on the left and other junk on the right.
P3010468.JPG

A rather blurry picture of Fret still digging at dusk. I gave a section of what I had already dug with the mattock a deep dig with the spade and lots of bugs came up.
P3010470.JPG

P3010471.JPG

Cool with the occasional light shower. About two and a half hours.
Got the small coop moved and the roof off, swept down and sprayed up with permethrin last thing.
The bottom wooden rails on the run are a bit here and there but they'll do.
View attachment 3417337View attachment 3417343View attachment 3417345
I dug and pulled out lumps of concrete and the chickens sorted the bugs out and there were lots once I broke up the ground under the small coop. A good couple of square feet under the coop was so dug out by rats tha if one stood on the top the ground gave way by six inches.
View attachment 3417346
Lots of this.
View attachment 3417347

This corner next.
View attachment 3417336
Then I'll go over the stuff I've done with a fork and rake it out.

Henry is getting quite friendly. I haven't pushed the issue since I've known him. He's done his stuff and I've done mine and we sort of pass with an acknowledgment of each of our roles. He comes to check me out for treats but recently he's come right up to my legs when I'm sitting and doesn't move away if I go to touch him. I give hima stroke when he's on the roost bar at night and he doesn't object to that. I cleaned his beak this afternoon as he stood beside me.
View attachment 3417335

There are no more rats nests in the run. I found three altogether, one recently occupied.

Almost forgot! It's Fret doing the hide me Henry.
View attachment 3417338View attachment 3417348
Wow, things have come a long way, Shad! Great work!

Grey with light showers. About 5C.
The geese were out.
Food and out.
View attachment 3419074View attachment 3419075

Something is changing. They are spending far less time on open ground and go to rest around the Rosemary bush or where Ella is in the first picture. Some cover on both sides with two or maybe three routes out. When the leaves on the bushes are grown this would be a good spot.
View attachment 3419078
The compost heap has become another favourite location. Good routes out and reasonable cover. again from the bench on the left and other junk on the right.
View attachment 3419077
A rather blurry picture of Fret still digging at dusk. I gave a section of what I had already dug with the mattock a deep dig with the spade and lots of bugs came up.
View attachment 3419073
View attachment 3419072
I bet you love seeing some proper chicken behaviour! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom