Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Afternoon X Batts. Sounds as so stupid but is and hopes you will fall for it Shad.
IMG_20220913_163001.jpg

4C with occasional bursts of sunshine. No idea what was going on with the wind. It seemed to change direction a lot.

I was having a lovely quiet time digging the rubble out of the run, I'm about 35cm (14 inches) all over the patch I've dug, when C turned up. I may have undone some months of diplomacy.:rolleyes:. C told me three straight out really stupid lies one after the other and I pulled them on them. C then got a bit stroppy and I did what I've carefullly managed not to do for the past months and that is, I fired up.

I've heard so much complete bollocks from C over the last eighteen months I've had enough of trying to walk around it. I don't think I've done any lasting damage.:D

We did after get to discuss two major issues after wards and those are the rubbish that accumulates. There are various little heaps of plastic sheet, geo textile fabric, all sorts that isn't easily compostable. There is this notion that no dig allotments are a thing and here the version of that is throw plastic sheets over the plots and weigh the sheets down with whatever comes to hand. Of course the sheets are just thrown somewhere out of the way come growing season. There is an awful lot of plastic on the allotment.
Now I thought the idea was to use corrugated cardboard. It shuts out the light but both lets water through and reduced evaporation from the soil. The main point though is corrugated cardboard composts quite quickly which is what one wants should one be concerened about the environment and into the green issues.:confused:

There is an easy 6 yard skips worth of rubbish. Getting rubbish moved is quite an expensive business. C complained that they had paid for the last lot to be moved and were not prepared to pay again. I know the plot holders would donate.

Anyway, that's enough of a rant.
Two hours out today.
View attachment 3422719
View attachment 3422718
People have used these plastic/geotextile things a lot here. They were very convenient to use as you can buy them with the holes already made to put in the seeds / plants.
We've done the cardboard thing a few times. If you really want to kill the weeds you need cardboard so thick that it won't compost before a few years. It's still better in the sense that it's much easier to recycle.
For us now what makes sense is either planting a cover crop, using hay (but you wouldn't have that at the allotment) or leaving what was planted in place until early spring, which make older people here go crazy as they like to see a clean bare soil for winter 🤣.

People have used these plastic/geotextile things a lot here. They were very convenient to use as you can buy them with the holes already made to put in the seeds / plants.
We've done the cardboard thing a few times. If you really want to kill the weeds you need cardboard so thick that it won't compost before a few years. It's still better in the sense that it's much easier to recycle.
For us now what makes sense is either planting a cover crop, using hay (but you wouldn't have that at the allotment) or leaving what was planted in place until early spring, which make older people here go crazy as they like to see a clean bare soil for winter 🤣.
I mulch with fallen leaves. Lots of them.

I would like to be able to add fishmeal to their diet.
I just came across this, which is more than a bit worrying:
"5 mass produced fish-meal products were tested from around the world and found to contain not only considerable levels of antibiotics but hundreds of antibiotic resistant genes." Spector Food for Life p.272 citing a study from 2017.

I just came across this, which is more than a bit worrying:
"5 mass produced fish-meal products were tested from around the world and found to contain not only considerable levels of antibiotics but hundreds of antibiotic resistant genes." Spector Food for Life p.272 citing a study from 2017.
Our world food supply (and that of our animals), is so messed up. Grow as much as you can on your own.

Back
Top Bottom