Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Anyone who has experience with taking care of bumblefoot: What do you recommend I do with my chicken? She had bumblefoot. I have heard Epsom salt and wrapping the foot in a bandage.
I no longer do "surgery". I soak, apply Prid, or another brand drawing salve, and wrap with vet wrap. I do this once a day. The kernel is near the surface after a few of days of this routine. If it doesn't come out on its own, it is easy to squeeze out. Then I use antibiotic ointment for about 3 days, keeping it wrapped. Usually after 3 days it forms a scab. I unwrap and that's it.

I no longer do "surgery". I soak, apply Prid, or another brand drawing salve, and wrap with vet wrap. I do this once a day. The kernel is near the surface after a few of days of this routine. If it doesn't come out on its own, it is easy to squeeze out. Then I use antibiotic ointment for about 3 days, keeping it wrapped. Usually after 3 days it forms a scab. I unwrap and that's it.
Phew. Then no need for surgery in this case. I almost sagged with relief. I really do not want to have to. Two of them got a dip today.

From yesterday.
Dry and sunny. A split day again. An hour in the morning and three hours in the evening.
Lima is still trying. She foraged a bit and dozed in the shade. She ate supper with the rest (Tuna and milk soaked bread pieces), went to roost early and cuddled up to Henry when he followed her in about ten minutes after.
Everybody got out.
P5281169.JPG
P5281168.JPG

P5281170.JPG
P5281171.JPG
P5281172.JPG

Anyone who has experience with taking care of bumblefoot: What do you recommend I do with my chicken? She had bumblefoot. I have heard Epsom salt and wrapping the foot in a bandage.
Can you post a picture of the affected foot, top and bottom? As @janiedoe said, soaking treatments are important to bring the infection to the surface so it can easily be squeezed out.

If you get it early enough, the soak, squeeze, and wrap method is the best and least invasive.

But ONLY if the infection doesn't crown at the surface and is deeper in the foot, it needs to be debrided (cut out with a scalpel). This is best done by a vet if you have access to one. Don't even think about debridement until you've tried the soak method.

But tend to the problem before the infection gets deeper. This is the situation our Cleo is in. She's four years old and we've been dealing with her bumblefoot since we adopted her over three years ago. Once infection is established, it's very difficult to get rid of completely.

Pictures would be helpful.

Can you post a picture of the affected foot, top and bottom? As @janiedoe said, soaking treatments are important to bring the infection to the surface so it can easily be squeezed out.

If you get it early enough, the soak, squeeze, and wrap method is the best and least invasive.

But ONLY if the infection doesn't crown at the surface and is deeper in the foot, it needs to be debrided (cut out with a scalpel). This is best done by a vet if you have access to one. Don't even think about debridement until you've tried the soak method.

But tend to the problem before the infection gets deeper. This is the situation our Cleo is in. She's four years old and we've been dealing with her bumblefoot since we adopted her over three years ago. Once infection is established, it's very difficult to get rid of completely.

Well, right now it's all wrapped up. So I will have to wait until my Mom takes it off.
I don't believe there would be a vet here that would see a chook. Even if there was our family would go broke on it, seeing how in the US medical stuff is overpriced.

20230523_184452.jpg

Oh wait. I had one of the bottom but not the top.
The Empress was distracting me. I let her in. She still has jelly on her from her failed attempt to eat my PB&J sandwich. She also is wondering why I drink mud in the morning (tea).
20230529_091829.jpg

Back
Top Bottom