Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Mmmmm... isn't grain usually found in the fall and not year round in nature.....
I wonder how much grain is found where jungle fowl originated anyway.

Goes to show how much people have changed chickens
Not sure about the Fall - my wild grasses are in seed now (I think that is defined as grain). Some of those grasses are adapted for out in the open and some are more edge of woods type grasses - but both kinds have gone to seed now and the chickens are having a blast harvesting.

Not sure about the Fall - my wild grasses are in seed now (I think that is defined as grain). Some of those grasses are adapted for out in the open and some are more edge of woods type grasses - but both kinds have gone to seed now and the chickens are having a blast harvesting.
same here - and of course it varies with one's latitude.

Mmmmm... isn't grain usually found in the fall and not year round in nature.....

Technically grain is a broad category, varieties of grass, which grows in almost every environment of the world, and includes things like rice (esp in wet habitats), sorghum (in dry habitats), maize and our familiar agricultural cereals. One type or another is often available through a lot of the year.

I usually do morning and evening I let her roam free and I’ll have the other chickens in the run to keep them separate. But I’ll just put a feeder out so maybe she’ll get use to not worrying about food
I think this stuffing themselves at every opportunity is a common thing with Ex Battery hens. It's not hard to imagine why. Like the others have mentioned, it does calm down after a while. For a relatively small bird they eat a lot. Allow at least 125grams per bird, even if they forage for part, or most of the day.

Ex Batts good morning one and all!

How is Fret doing?

Temperature is in the 70s.

Have a great day!
She's still with us.:love Slower but still active. She doesn't like the heat, even though it's not really hot at 22C. She had a dust bath today and I cleaned her rear end which I've never had to do before. But, she's had a wide range of foods recently, including a few unripe gooseberries.

Not just grains. Wild rice, grass seeds, etc. And another climate with no real winters, bugs all year round.

I'm home! :wee
Four hours this afternoon. Sunny and warm. Trying to make sure the fruit bushes and a few of the plots stay watered.

Since Fret has been broody and sitting, Lima has attacked Fret when she gets off the nest to eat etc. These haven't been serious attacks but I've wondered why Lima does it while the others don't. Lima and Fret have been foraging partners since they've been getting out of the allotment run and on to the allotment itself. Of course, Ex Battery hens don't see broody tribe mates or males, or chicks come to that. Think about that for a moment. Imagine never seeing a baby or child. If Fret does hatch any chicks it will be interesting to see the reactions of both Lima and Ella assuming they're alive.

Fret doesn't fuss any more when I get her off her nest; not even a halfhearted peck. What's more she generally a lot less wary of me.
P6021208.JPG

Fret found an unripe gooseberry which she had a hell of a job getting into.
P6021212.JPG
P6021211.JPG

Fret having a dust bath. Incredible that some people don't let a broody hen out of a cage for their entire sit. Dust bathing is a top priority for all the broodies I've known.
P6021207.JPG

P6021209.JPG
P6021210.JPG
P6021214.JPG
P6021215.JPG

:D

I'm home! :wee
Four hours this afternoon. Sunny and warm. Trying to make sure the fruit bushes and a few of the plots stay watered.

Since Fret has been broody and sitting, Lima has attacked Fret when she gets off the nest to eat etc. These haven't been serious attacks but I've wondered why Lima does it while the others don't. Lima and Fret have been foraging partners since they've been getting out of the allotment run and on to the allotment itself. Of course, Ex Battery hens don't see broody tribe mates or males, or chicks come to that. Think about that for a moment. Imagine never seeing a baby or child. If Fret does hatch any chicks it will be interesting to see the reactions of both Lima and Ella assuming they're alive.

Fret doesn't fuss any more when I get her off her nest; not even a halfhearted peck. What's more she generally a lot less wary of me.
View attachment 3526968

Fret found an unripe gooseberry which she had a hell of a job getting into.
View attachment 3526966View attachment 3526964

Fret having a dust bath. Incredible that some people don't let a broody hen out of a cage for their entire sit. Dust bathing is a top priority for all the broodies I've known.View attachment 3526963

View attachment 3526969View attachment 3526967View attachment 3526965View attachment 3526962
:D
My first experience with a broody hen has been Eli and she prioritized a dust bath over food. And she took good long soaks in the tub if I can stick with the analogy. Not a quick rub down with a damp flannel!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom