Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

My first experience with a broody hen has been Eli and she prioritized a dust bath over food. And she took good long soaks in the tub if I can stick with the analogy. Not a quick run down with a damp flannel!
Broody baths are much the same at my place except it usually goes poop, eat, drink, bath, eat, drink, poop, back to the nest.

Glad to know about the dust baths. I'm in the process of building a big hoop house just for broodies and chicks. I will build dust baths in the runs with a combo of play sand and some Alabama red clay dirt. I'll have to test it with the layers before putting a bunch in a broody house. My pet hen went broody as an adolescent and I haven't had one since until now and the facility for them is not really to their needs. I'm working feverishly to get it rectified.

There was a wedding for one of the people in the flat complex I live at. I'm not sure where the couple are from but I think they are Somalian. This is the community room. It's usually occupied the complex alcoholics and looks drab and uninviting. The women had their reception/celebration here while the men had theirs elsewhere as is the tradition. The place looked lovely and I asked if I could take a couple of pictures.
P6031216.JPG

P6031217.JPG

Three and a half hours at the allotments today. Dry (we could do with some rain) and sunny. Everybody came out, including Fret who leaves her nest a bit after I arrive these days so she doesn't miss out on supper. Tuna, oats and mixed seeds this evening.

P6031218.JPG
P6031219.JPG
P6031220.JPG
P6031221.JPG

My plot. I've spaced stuff a little bit too widely and should have made roon for another couple of rows. Need quite a bit of room by the fruit bushes because of root spread. I've started on the other side of the fruit bushes and it's a mess at the moment.
P6031222.JPG

There was a wedding for one of the people in the flat complex I live at. I'm not sure where the couple are from but I think they are Somalian. This is the community room. It's usually occupied the complex alcoholics and looks drab and uninviting. The women had their reception/celebration here while the men had theirs elsewhere as is the tradition. The place looked lovely and I asked if I could take a couple of pictures.
View attachment 3528055
View attachment 3528056

Three and a half hours at the allotments today. Dry (we could do with some rain) and sunny. Everybody came out, including Fret who leaves her nest a bit after I arrive these days so she doesn't miss out on supper. Tuna, oats and mixed seeds this evening.

View attachment 3528060View attachment 3528061View attachment 3528057View attachment 3528054

My plot. I've spaced stuff a little bit too widely and should have made roon for another couple of rows. Need quite a bit of room by the fruit bushes because of root spread. I've started on the other side of the fruit bushes and it's a mess at the moment.
View attachment 3528059
I'll bet you're feeling romantic after seeing that reception room. Be careful that some spinster lady doesn't turn your head.

I'll bet you're feeling romantic after seeing that reception room. Be careful that some spinster lady doesn't turn your head.

Lyrics

Off our rockers, actin' crazy
With the right medication we won't be lazy
Doin' the old folks boogie
Down on the farm
Wheelchairs, they was locked arm in arm
Paired off pacemakers with matchin' alarms
Gives us jus' one more chance
To spin one more yarn
And you know that you're over the hill
When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill
Doin' the old folks boogie
And boogie we will
'Cause to us the thought's as good as a thrill
Back at the home,
No time is your own,
Facillities there, they're all out on loan
The bank forclose, and your bankruptcy shows
And your credit creeps to an all-time low
So you know, that you're over the hill
Try and get a rise from an atrophied muscle,
And the nerves in your thigh just quivers and fizzles
So you know, that you're over the hill

what sort of netting are you using there to keep the chooks off your baby veggies?
The background suggests a few plot holders are not tending their patches - or were they doing their bit for rewilding, or even No Mow May perhaps? :lol:

Happy birthday Amadeo and Dyffryn: 1 year old today, and looking good! 🎂:celebrate
Amadeo 1st birthday.JPG

Dyffryn 1st birthday.JPG

what sort of netting are you using there to keep the chooks off your baby veggies?
The background suggests a few plot holders are not tending their patches - or were they doing their bit for rewilding, or even No Mow May perhaps? :lol:

Happy birthday Amadeo and Dyffryn: 1 year old today, and looking good! 🎂:celebrate
View attachment 3528314
View attachment 3528315
Oh they are so gorgeous!!!

. Dry (we could do with some rain) and sunny. Everybody came out, including Fret who leaves her nest a bit after I arrive these days so she doesn't miss out on supper. Tuna, oats and mixed seeds this evening.
Sunny here too. Temps rising.
We need some rain in the run. The soil in the main run became sort of a hard loam floor where poop is starting to cause trouble if I don’t act on it. The flies are helping but if the flies start to multiply, this won’t be okay either.
Plan is to make some artificial rain and throw in herbs and leaves to cover the soil.

The second run has more shade and we added so much chopped wood in there. Here the soil is still okay and its possible to scratch in it.

Back
Top Bottom