Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

My guess would be that bringing in new adult birds is more stressful. With chicks hatched (or even received as day olds) and raised in sight of the rest of the flock there is no immediate need to figure out the pecking order. The chicks are low not matter what and will slot in as they get older.

I think with adults brought in, they need to be physically separated by a fence of some sort so they can learn about each other. The existing flock will see them as competition for food and status.

My hope is three new arrivals will be enough to keep some kind of balance. I have no real idea if it's going to work or not.
As you often point out, such is often the case when we do things trying to meddle in chicken politics 🙂.
I'll be following whatever happens. After having a closed little flock for two years, now I have these broodies and hatches and shifting dynamics, different orders establishing, cockerels tussling.. It's a very different thing to observe than just a close knit group of older hens, that's for sure.

In your opinion, do you think it's more stressful when outside chickens are brought in to a group than when a broody hatches a clutch and introduces the new chicks? And then leaves them to sink or swim on their own?
I've had two very difficult integrations. The first one was bringing a couple of cross bantam chickens, Théo and Chipie, within a group of six two years old ex-batts who had never seen other chickens let alone a rooster. The second was having that bantam hatch four chicks among that ex-batts group and Théo rejected the chicks.

Then, I've had two relatively successful integrations this year : first bringing in four point of lay pullets, and then, having six chicks hatched by Léa, one of last year's chicks.

The major reason for the difference, I think, is that my rooster Gaston is much more social and loved both the new pullets and the chicks. And another difference is that the existing group was already a mixed breed, not a closed group as my six original ex-batts were.

So in my case outsiders vs chicks hatched at home did not make a major difference. I should add, though, that in both cases I got eggs from outside my flock and that possibly it was a factor for Théo to reject the chicks (but Gaston doesn't seem to care).

Soon eight weeks..these two are best friends for the time being though they keep fighting for fun ☺️
IMG_20230712_145640.jpg

In your opinion, do you think it's more stressful when outside chickens are brought in to a group than when a broody hatches a clutch and introduces the new chicks? And then leaves them to sink or swim on their own?
In my opinion it depends on the keeping circumstances. Most of everything does in my experience.
I have never tried to integrate new arrivals. I don't even believe in the concept of integration. In human multicutural society integration doesn't work. What happens over time is assimilation. I live in a multicultural city and you could draw a line around each ethnic area. The different nationalities cooperate and mingle due to pressures of economics and resources but live with their own kind by and large. Common language and culture make this almost inevitable.

In Catalonia on those few occasions where I rescued from outside the tribes they never integrated, but I never forced the issue. I housed the newcomers in a seperate coop and they went about their business and the tribes went about theirs.
On the farm in Hertfordshire new intake got housed seperately and tended to stay seperate although the groups did mingle. What helped in this case was only two breeds were kept and they were kept in seperate areas.
On my uncles farm it was a completely closed tribe keeping arrangement so the issue never arose.
I have never forced any chicken to live with anyone they didn't want to so this will be a first.

1st attempt for 15-year old (2008) video tech that's been in a drawer for about a decade...
A week on, Chirk's making good progress on his road to recovery. This video is mostly him just standing - an achievement in itself, but boring viewing :rolleyes: - so I'd recommend just the opening 0-10 s. (trying to preen himself, he started that today), then shaking himself without falling over at 40-50 s., and a slow but unsupported few steps at 1.05-1.35. This is the current normal btw; he perks up significantly and moves more than this if one of the girls comes by, and their presence is like a physio arriving to get him up and about :lol: .

I have ‘integrated’ a few times. Both babies and near grown - though never hatched here as I don’t have a rooster.
I would say it has been largely uneventful if you can stomach a few skirmishes. But also, as Shad says, mostly they have kept to their own groups.
This is very noticeable with the five I have now who are definitely a group on their own with little interest in integrating now that their foster mother - Eli - has gone.
I do have the luxury of a lot of space both inside and out, and a lot of separate areas, junk, furniture etc., so it is relatively easy for the two groups to ignore each other most of the time.
Sometimes they hang out together but mostly the two groups have their own agendas.
I am sure a rooster, and particularly two roosters, would would stir things up.
Shad, the problem with starting over is that someone will be the last to go and that one will be lonely.

I have never had a problem assimilating and/or integrating. I have done just about everything. I credit my matriarchs for keeping the peace and that I have very open living for my flock. Not a lot of walls and they can all see and hear each other always. Also 24/7 multi feed & water stations so no one ever feels food insecure (including ferals and wild birds apparently 🙄) and gates, so I can separate any bad behavior quick and easy without punishment. And lastly, separating and rehoming boys that did not work. Took a lot of cockerel auditions to get to my Beetlejuice.
20230712_083414~2.jpg

He may be no ones perfect except mine and my flocks. He is quick to help the main guy and quick to know when to scramble out of the way. It works. He is also way more inclusive than main guy and the lowers live under his watch.
20230708_164549~2.jpg

My matriarchs are getting up there in age, I have 3 that are living out the last of their 6th year. I fear I will be loosing Mazzie this year as she has slowed down a lot. She is the survivor of a dog mauling and basically incredible. The next inline may be total idiots... who knows lol. Just happy with with my flock dynamics now, wish they could stay this way forever.

I have never had a problem assimilating and/or integrating. I have done just about everything. I credit my matriarchs for keeping the peace and that I have very open living for my flock. Not a lot of walls and they can all see and hear each other always. Also 24/7 multi feed & water stations so no one ever feels food insecure (including ferals and wild birds apparently 🙄) and gates, so I can separate any bad behavior quick and easy without punishment. And lastly, separating and rehoming boys that did not work. Took a lot of cockerel auditions to get to my Beetlejuice.View attachment 3574844
He may be no ones perfect except mine and my flocks. He is quick to help the main guy and quick to know when to scramble out of the way. It works. He is also way more inclusive than main guy and the lowers live under his watch.
View attachment 3574862
My matriarchs are getting up there in age, I have 3 that are living out the last of their 6th year. I fear I will be loosing Mazzie this year as she has slowed down a lot. She is the survivor of a dog mauling and basically incredible. The next inline may be total idiots... who knows lol. Just happy with with my flock dynamics now, wish they could stay this way forever.
Matriarchs are everything.

Given that hens are the only other female animal besides women who get ovarian cancers, I'd say the comparison is just.

As far as mental health... Weeelll, just look at that Dugger family with the how many kids now? I think it was 17 ... Or more now. That woman is obviously bat$&#$ bonkers, in my humble opinion.

She had 19 children.

A week on, Chirk's making good progress on his road to recovery. This video is mostly him just standing - an achievement in itself, but boring viewing :rolleyes: - so I'd recommend just the opening 0-10 s. (trying to preen himself, he started that today), then shaking himself without falling over at 40-50 s., and a slow but unsupported few steps at 1.05-1.35. This is the current normal btw; he perks up significantly and moves more than this if one of the girls comes by, and their presence is like a physio arriving to get him up and about :lol: .
Nice rooster and loved his video. He is a great star of the chicken video world now.

Back
Top Bottom