Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Hehe, don't be such a square. Chickens are actually pretty gender fluid, as Shad's stories of roosters who sit on eggs and non-laying hens with spurs attests.

Lady Gaga, btw, prefers the pronouns "they, them, theirs." It's in their email signature.

It's true, chickens are much more accepting in that regard than some people. I was not aware that Lady Gaga uses they/them/theirs pronouns, thank you for making me aware of it!

I like to hatch my own, and kept pullets for this reason last season as they are unrelated to my rooster (and the cockerels, except one hen who is a half sister). Also all the chicks for this season are for selling, as I kept so many last season.
I try to start early, as by late November my hatches can start to fail due to humidity being too high (that's my conclusion based on the evidence I've got). It's possibly going to be better this season as it's not going to be La Nina, but honestly I just don't know. I usually like to start in early September, but I'll see how this goes. It's really not that cold, it's about 1 degree C in the mornings. No snow or anything, and it thaws by 8 or 9am.
The wild birds do all sorts of crazy things here. The climate bumps all over the place. We've had a really mild few weeks until a few days ago, temps up to 17 degrees, the daffodils are out and some branches on my plum tree decided to blossom!
It's interesting to hear how folks on the other side are thinking about the El Niño. I'm in Ecuador and we are supposed to get absolutely hammered with rain, flooding, and mudslides. We aren't even having much of a dry season. Our spring, which is usually a trickle this time of year, is still full. So if my two broodies hatch chicks, they will be the last until the next dry season in June.

It's true, chickens are much more accepting in that regard than some people. I was not aware that Lady Gaga uses they/them/theirs pronouns, thank you for making me aware of it!
In the Netherlands there are some people who want to be more fluid as nature allows them. But those who go for hormones and a operation to change their sexe/gender do change their first names too in general. 😜

For me it’s most important people feel happy with the way they are and with loving to whom they feel attracted to. Male, female or whatever preferences.

l don’t mind if a roosters name is lady, princess or whatever. It just a bit strange for me. I probably would change the name if I made a ‘mistake’ when the chicks gender wasn’t obvious.

Even named my pile pullet Chef, after the male (moustache wearing) muppet cook. I choose the name for the silly character and white outfit, not because he’s a man.

chef muppets GIF

In the Netherlands there are some people who want to be more fluid as nature allows them. But those who go for hormones and a operation to change their sexe/gender do change their first names too in general. 😜

For me it’s most important people feel happy with the way they are and with loving to whom they feel attracted to. Male, female or whatever preferences.

l don’t mind if a roosters name is lady, princess or whatever. It just a bit strange for me. I probably would change the name if I made a ‘mistake’ when the chicks gender wasn’t obvious.

Even named my pile pullet Chef, after the male (moustache wearing) muppet cook. I choose the name for the silly character and white outfit, not because he’s a man.

chef muppets GIF

"For me it's important people feel happy with the way they are and loving to whom they're attracted to" absolutely. For Lady Gaga I was trying to find him a name that no one would guess the reasoning behind it, while also staying on theme. I was thinking to myself how protective he was for such a young male. Then I remembered that one of Lady Gaga's songs used their personal bodyguard as one of the voices heard in the song. I knew right there and then that I had found his name

It's interesting to hear how folks on the other side are thinking about the El Niño. I'm in Ecuador and we are supposed to get absolutely hammered with rain, flooding, and mudslides. We aren't even having much of a dry season. Our spring, which is usually a trickle this time of year, is still full. So if my two broodies hatch chicks, they will be the last until the next dry season in June.
El Nino for New Zealand usually means hot and dry, probably some droughts. Some places are wetter but those are the wet places! La Nina means hot and wet with high humidity. I think I like hot and wet better even though it's pretty brutal, because it's better than drought!

El Nino for New Zealand usually means hot and dry, probably some droughts. Some places are wetter but those are the wet places! La Nina means hot and wet with high humidity. I think I like hot and wet better even though it's pretty brutal, because it's better than drought!
Totally. We get inundated with rain every year, no matter what. Over 4000mm. But I much prefer it to having to pump water from the spring, digging wells, and that awful feeling when I'm hot, dirty and cranky and there's not enough water to take a dip.

Totally. We get inundated with rain every year, no matter what. Over 4000mm. But I much prefer it to having to pump water from the spring, digging wells, and that awful feeling when I'm hot, dirty and cranky and there's not enough water to take a dip.
I am so happy your Son is alive and well.

Back
Top Bottom