Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I'm sure most of the time my boys don't pretend, and tidbit on something of use. But I can assure you, there have been instances where they pretended. How can I be so sure? Big Red has tidbitted on a small bit of wire on multiple occasions. Kolovos? He sometimes tidbits on a bit of concrete. There is nothing on said piece of concrete

and doesn't need protection like Chirk currently.
I am happy to hear Chirk is still with you, I’ve been thinking of him but didn't dare ask for news. But now I can, so please tell us how he’s doing ?
What I find far more interesting is watching Fret as a mother.
That is what I meant. I know you're not too keen on the cute fluffy thing but seeing how Fret raises her chicks is the first occasion for you to see in what degree the education of an allotment chick differs or is similar from those you saw in very different conditions in Spain.
In my experience roosters have long memories and are less tolerant of mistreatment than say a dog. No rooster I've known has ever seen himself as subservient to a human. They are in my experience proud creatures who expect some respect. This doesn't sit well with many people who are used to beating in whatever sense, other creatures into submission. You can read the attitude every day here on BYC unfortunately.
I have found both of my roosters to be pretty forgiving with me. I’ve been guilty several times of loosing my temper with Théo and screaming at him, pretty badly once, and I don't feel it made things worse between us in the long run (it may have for a few days). On the other hand, taking care of his foot splint and having him locked up in a crate made things much better. Maybe he does remember I yelled madly at him, but he also adapted to the current situation, which is that he needs me as an ally now he's terrified of my other rooster.

Thank you for all the advice and opinions on the number of hatching eggs.The main reason we wanted to get Chipie’s chicks, apart from finding her rather fascinating, is that she’s never been concerned in the least by all my flock's health problems, she seems.to be totally resistant. Your answers are confirming me that it wouldn't be reasonable. The two times hens have sat here the hatch rate has been 4/5 and 6/6 , I don't have enough space and ressources to add that many chickens, even bantams.
Shad, @ManueB and others,
I have been wondering about past singles within a flock and interfering in roosting preferences.

I had a problem with one young pullet (Janice) who was bullied after her two brothers (about 12-14 weeks old) went to another family. She turned into a very flighty hen. Behaved extremely protective towards me when she was a broody and mean to the chicks after she left them at about 7 weeks.

The lonely hen I took over from a girl that couldn’t keep her (Kraai) . She is behaving mean and bossy towards the others. Doesn’t tolerate the pullets around her. But is friendly towards me and not flighly.

And even Katrientje is behaving less friendly after I kept her apart for a while because she was horribly broody. She chased the chicks away from the nest-boxes when they were still young (about 8 weeks) and never stopped chasing them afterwards if they came near. The 2 pullets I have don’t dare to come anyway near her because she is really mean to them.

These 3 mean hens are the reason I dare not to interfere in the preference of the pullets to sleep in their own small coop in the run. I don’t want any more hens that are psychologically damaged because I forced them to sleep somewhere else as they prefer. They probably know better.

Only sleeping in trees and broodies sleeping in nest boxes are a no go at the moment.

I’d like to hear you opinion on this matter/roosting. Interfere towards wanted behaviour or let the chickens choose were they want to sleep.
The only time i’ve done something like this is when I removed my current chicks / teenagers from their nest in the co-op's wall, which they were far too big to stay in, and put them on a roost very close to it. I don't feel it caused a problem but a. they were only 50 cm away from where they slept before and still in the coop, b. They were six and probably find some strength in numbers.
I can't really help. I think it's possible that a chicken who already has a fragile status in the flock would attach a lot of importance to the place they roost in, as it's a time when they are utterly vulnerable. Maybe Chef and Abby feel still too insecure ? Would there be a problem leaving them in their own small coop ?

please tell us how he’s doing ?
He's been in a temporary pen under the trampoline since the 16th, using the netting that came with it and intended to stop kids falling out, instead hooked up underneath to stop the other boys getting in. Apart from the fresh air and access to grass, he has received a lot more visitors out there, all of whom stimulate physio exercise of one sort or another, and most of whom he receives fondly. Janeka has repeatedly brought the chicks to meet him through the netting :love (She is a loyal fan of Killay too, fully recognizing him as dominant now). He walks almost normally now, can preen chest and under wings, though I've not seen him get round to the back end yet. His moult continues and he looks a lot less like a pincushion than he did inside.

He sleeps in a plastic dustbin with handles (so it doesn't roll) on its side in there, with its bottom to the prevailing wind and two under-bed plastic boxes arranged either side over the top, which provides privacy and a dry and relatively comfortable place to sleep, and which even withstood Storm Betty (though it's a pita to poo pick; you've probably guessed that the coops don't fit under the trampoline).

This is a view through the netting; you can see him sunbathing in the space between one of the side boxes and the bin on its side.
C temp pen.JPG

I'm sure most of the time my boys don't pretend, and tidbit on something of use. But I can assure you, there have been instances where they pretended. How can I be so sure? Big Red has tidbitted on a small bit of wire on multiple occasions. Kolovos? He sometimes tidbits on a bit of concrete. There is nothing on said piece of concrete
Hmm... Well concrete does contain things like ash, calcium carbonate, and clay in addition to Portland cement, so there just might be a smidge of something useful there...

Hmm... Well concrete does contain things like ash, calcium carbonate, and clay in addition to Portland cement, so there just might be a smidge of something useful there...

Well, in that case he'd still have to physically pick up a piece of concrete to feed it to the hens. He doesn't. And even if he did, the hens don't appreciate it. Whenever he tidbits on the concrete one or two come, look at the ground for a second, then give him a look and leave. The sad part is there are fallen figs right next to him:p

Last edited:
Shad, @ManueB and others,
I have been wondering about past singles within a flock and interfering in roosting preferences.

I had a problem with one young pullet (Janice) who was bullied after her two brothers (about 12-14 weeks old) went to another family. She turned into a very flighty hen. Behaved extremely protective towards me when she was a broody and mean to the chicks after she left them at about 7 weeks.

The lonely hen I took over from a girl that couldn’t keep her (Kraai) . She is behaving mean and bossy towards the others. Doesn’t tolerate the pullets around her. But is friendly towards me and not flighly.

And even Katrientje is behaving less friendly after I kept her apart for a while because she was horribly broody. She chased the chicks away from the nest-boxes when they were still young (about 8 weeks) and never stopped chasing them afterwards if they came near. The 2 pullets I have don’t dare to come anyway near her because she is really mean to them.

These 3 mean hens are the reason I dare not to interfere in the preference of the pullets to sleep in their own small coop in the run. I don’t want any more hens that are psychologically damaged because I forced them to sleep somewhere else as they prefer. They probably know better.

Only sleeping in trees and broodies sleeping in nest boxes are a no go at the moment.

I’d like to hear you opinion on this matter/roosting. Interfere towards wanted behaviour or let the chickens choose were they want to sleep.
I let mine roost where they will. I've tried, and succeeded, in the past to change where they're roost but it was a lot of work. However, I do not have significant predator pressures. That is a major factor. My only predator risk is a dog coming onto the property (I am fully fenced), or a ferret. I've never seen a ferret this close to the neighborhood. It certainly could happen, but it's not super likely given ferret/stoat shyness. There's always movement, people walking around, lights going on and off, and this is all hours not just during the day.
Plus I feel like if a ferret came, they could decimate my cooped birds but probably would only get one of the tree sleepers. If they even bothered going up the tree.

Back
Top Bottom