Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I did this with a batch for tonights supper, heavy on the garlic and basil and added chopped pine nuts served on a few slices of scottish smoked salmon.

https://www.theendlessmeal.com/roasted-cherry-tomatoes/
Before clicking the link, I wasn't sure if this recipe was for you or the chickens 🙃 After clicking the link, I'll be making this shortly. Cherry tomatoes and basil are relentless this year.

In fact, the garden's so productive that – since my back's out, and DH, the neighbors, and the chickens are either vegged-out or too busy with work to pick – I've been leaving the electric fence off in hopes wildlife will take a crack at it.

Here are harvest photos from earlier in the season; we were getting 3x this weekly from a fairly small plot. Tomatoes and peppers are still going strong. Zucchini/courgette are finished but nearly sunk us. I was bringing a comical range of zucchini dishes to picnics and potlucks and dropping them on neighbors' doorsteps without asking first.

The chickens have become so accustomed to the abundance (which is all their fault--or rather the fault of their miraculous poop) that they're now veggie snobs. "We don't care for the peel, thanks."

SummerHarvest.jpg

FarmersMktKitchenTable.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3296.jpg

PeelsOnly.jpg

That's a fantastic harvest! Marrow & ginger jam is a very tasty way to use/preserve marrows.
Excellent suggestion, and thanks for the "learn something new" moment for the day: yet another name for zucchini. Tis the season to make preserves. I've also been trying to motivate my creaky butt to make kudzu-blossom jelly before the vines stop blooming.

Excellent suggestion, and thanks for the "learn something new" moment for the day: yet another name for zucchini. Tis the season to make preserves. I've also been trying to motivate my creaky butt to make kudzu-blossom jelly before the vines stop blooming.
Marrows are what zucchini turns into, the monstrous marrows you find when you've skipped checking for a day or two! I had one that was as big as the bottom of my wheelbarrow last season 🤣
I grate and dehydrate zucchini and use it as a vegetable bulker in soups and sauces and meat mixes all year old. Makes a fairly decent breadcrumb substitute.

Before clicking the link, I wasn't sure if this recipe was for you or the chickens 🙃 After clicking the link, I'll be making this shortly. Cherry tomatoes and basil are relentless this year.

In fact, the garden's so productive that – since my back's out, and DH, the neighbors, and the chickens are either vegged-out or too busy with work to pick – I've been leaving the electric fence off in hopes wildlife will take a crack at it.

Here are harvest photos from earlier in the season; we were getting 3x this weekly from a fairly small plot. Tomatoes and peppers are still going strong. Zucchini/courgette are finished but nearly sunk us. I was bringing a comical range of zucchini dishes to picnics and potlucks and dropping them on neighbors' doorsteps without asking first.

The chickens have become so accustomed to the abundance (which is all their fault--or rather the fault of their miraculous poop) that they're now veggie snobs. "We don't care for the peel, thanks."

View attachment 3626905
The rooster on the left is Gorgeous!

I fed my past-prime yellow squash to the flock. They did the same thing, ate the seeds and inside flesh, left the rind.

Marrows are what zucchini turns into, the monstrous marrows you find when you've skipped checking for a day or two! I had one that was as big as the bottom of my wheelbarrow last season 🤣
Ahh, that happened to us a lot. The plants were so massive it was hard to find all the zucchini under their giant leaves. We grew more 3-pounders than is decent 🫣 but the chickens do like the seeds in those.
I grate and dehydrate zucchini and use it as a vegetable bulker in soups and sauces and meat mixes all year old. Makes a fairly decent breadcrumb substitute.
That's a great idea, thank you! Time to fire up the dehydrator.

6 hours today. On the warm side.
Carbon has become increasingly bossy towards the chicks. She doesn't hurt them, just low level bullying. I think this is fairly normal. She's just letting the chicks know her position is not up for grabs.
Henry is his usual tolerant, laid back self. He even lets the chicks get on his back occasionally. Both chicks are that incredibly scruffy looking stage and looking at them makes me laugh.

I've finally got around to clearing the remains of the old coop away from where I dumped it just outside the allotment run. It's been slow progress, one because stuff has grown through the hardware cloth and two, I'm trying to rescue what good panels there are, usually by cutting off the bottome half of the hardware cloth run panels.

My plot is still producing on a daily basis. I had to invite another plot holder to pick and take some raspberries and I've given away around ten kilos of potatoes.
P9032148.JPG

Everybody is sick of courgettes even the rats!

P9032143.JPG
P9032144.JPG
P9032145.JPG
P9032146.JPG
P9032149.JPG

Tax for garden talk: I love entering the BYC calendar contest, and endure an obscene amount of bugbites and muscle cramps to capture shots to choose from each year.

Since I'd choose by my background knowledge of the chickens and the moment, rather than by overall quality, I outsource the choice of entries to friends & family. Here are a few that didn't get enough votes to be in the top 4.

Pinkie, our crowing hen-ckerel, mid tidbit.
PinkieCrew-midsize.jpg

Eula resting her fluffy butt after a bunch of bug hunting.
EulaNaps-midsize.jpg

Starla Long-Toe stalking grass seeds.
StarlaSnacks-fullsize.jpg

Back
Top Bottom