Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

It's still hotter than Hades here, hoping for a brake soon
Screenshot_20230905_062212_Chrome.jpg

Before clicking the link, I wasn't sure if this recipe was for you or the chickens 🙃 After clicking the link, I'll be making this shortly. Cherry tomatoes and basil are relentless this year.

In fact, the garden's so productive that – since my back's out, and DH, the neighbors, and the chickens are either vegged-out or too busy with work to pick – I've been leaving the electric fence off in hopes wildlife will take a crack at it.

Here are harvest photos from earlier in the season; we were getting 3x this weekly from a fairly small plot. Tomatoes and peppers are still going strong. Zucchini/courgette are finished but nearly sunk us. I was bringing a comical range of zucchini dishes to picnics and potlucks and dropping them on neighbors' doorsteps without asking first.

The chickens have become so accustomed to the abundance (which is all their fault--or rather the fault of their miraculous poop) that they're now veggie snobs. "We don't care for the peel, thanks."

View attachment 3626900
View attachment 3626901
View attachment 3626905
View attachment 3626906
View attachment 3626907
View attachment 3626909
They don't eat the centers 🤣 So picky

I don't know, some have been very moody. Especially Kolovos, he's never been phased by the heat
I think their heat tolerance varies by individual chicken but as a whole our bantams see less phased by the heat. Our turkeys always look hot but they are tall enough to walk into the dog"s pool and cool off.

I recently read on our public radio website that for humans one of the explanation of our different reaction to heat, other than being used to it, is that our individual body temperature are actually not all similar. It varies with age but also with genetics. Possibly this is true for chickens as well.
That might explain the difference between hubby and me. I can handle the heat MUCH better than he does.
Tax: Sunny complaining about the heat.
IMG_4579.JPG

Before clicking the link, I wasn't sure if this recipe was for you or the chickens 🙃 After clicking the link, I'll be making this shortly. Cherry tomatoes and basil are relentless this year.

In fact, the garden's so productive that – since my back's out, and DH, the neighbors, and the chickens are either vegged-out or too busy with work to pick – I've been leaving the electric fence off in hopes wildlife will take a crack at it.

Here are harvest photos from earlier in the season; we were getting 3x this weekly from a fairly small plot. Tomatoes and peppers are still going strong. Zucchini/courgette are finished but nearly sunk us. I was bringing a comical range of zucchini dishes to picnics and potlucks and dropping them on neighbors' doorsteps without asking first.

The chickens have become so accustomed to the abundance (which is all their fault--or rather the fault of their miraculous poop) that they're now veggie snobs. "We don't care for the peel, thanks."

View attachment 3626900
View attachment 3626901
View attachment 3626905
View attachment 3626906
View attachment 3626907
View attachment 3626909
Ha, this is hilarious. My greedy little brother would do this with a loaf of Italian bread -- eat all of the soft inside and leave the crust. I always preferred the crust so it worked out.

Back
Top Bottom