Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Something I have found interesting and would like to report. I am wondering if others have observed the same.

Light was hatched mid March 2021, a commercial production layer (unfortunately I did not know better about their reproductive issues at the time). She was sick for a little over a month (around July 2023) from impacted crop until she went to see a vet.

Before she was sick, she was laying very big eggs with kinda thin shells. She lays her eggs a lot inside the house so we were able to observe her laying frequently and sometimes she even made a hard push sound. I felt bad for her.

After she got recovered, she started laying again sometime this August. Her eggs have since been smaller, the perfect size, and with stronger shell!! She is laying a bit more frequently than before. It's like she has transformed! I am very happy with the "no more hard push sound" and her stronger egg shell.

View attachment 3633201
yes I have observed hens laying better eggs after being ill/having issues, though not impacted crop as such.

Venka, my oldest Swedish Flower, laid soft shelled eggs more often than properly shelled ones for her entire first season, even the 'proper ones' were thin-shelled, and at one point I considered culling her because so many were getting split in the coop or outside (sometimes she laid them as if pooping; I think it felt to her like that's what was happening) I feared the flock would develop the habit of egg eating, which I'd read was a Very Bad Thing to be avoided at all costs. She was the only one having this issue so I decided it was idiopathic, and she's a very nice hen, so I didn't cull her and determined to tackle the issue of egg eating if and when it happened. It didn't, and from the start of the next laying season her eggs were absolutely fine, and have been even since. I have no idea why it took her system so long to get into gear, or what she was being challenged with if she was ill, and none of her daughters have had any issues with the quality of their eggs. And I am so glad I did not cull her, because she's become a star in the flock- and still laying a few eggs a week since January even though she's 6 now!

There are definitely a couple of Turkish words in the video. Like ewet. Which means yes.

Poly oreilla . (I don’t have greek letters on my phone).
Just a few things I remember from hollidays in Greece 🇬🇷 and Turkey 🇹🇷

More memories: getting enormously sick from chicken souflaki in a time when I thought chickens where so dumb, that I didn’t feel guilty eating them.

more tax: View attachment 3632942

Thank you! I think you mean poly orea, because the orilla is a kind of doctor :oops: . Is that what you mean, or am I reading it completely wrong

You are welcome to drop by anytime. Lots of mutts here to.:love
Some Maran chicks but mostly second generation silkie crosses
20230908_205714.jpg

@Shadrach any ideas on the chicks genders yet? Hoping at least 1 pullet, but both would be ideal. My hatch from my broody ended up with 3 pullets, I’m thrilled they all get to stay!
Not really given the breed mix. I can't send them back.:lol: I think one is male and the other female but I've been wrong before.

Back
Top Bottom